1992 jzx81 project

Hey guys i have a 1992 jzx81 project with a 1jz-ge novvti.

I'm after some advice for tuning, the previous owner had got a stage 3 camgrind from Auckland cams and didn't do anything about the tuning.

anyone have any idea what would need done to make it run good I.e. install a piggyback, adjustable cam gears Ect

I don't wanna sped too much and I don't wanna go the turbo rout just yet would like the car running good so I can cruse around  

and ideas would be great cheers, Terry

soon as you go cams,  most cases its to much for the factory ecu to deal with. unless its an ecu that can be tuned. really need an aftermarket ecu and a good tune to get it all running nice.   

it might depend a little bit on just how wild the cams are, i have found with an air flow metered engine you can get away with a bit, certainly more than you can on a MAP sensor engine.

You'd want to be sure it has piston to valve clearance, and see if the cams are designed to run close to base cam timing, i dropped some smallish kelfords into my old evo on stock cam gears, and it didn't really have much affect on AFR's, but I can confirm it did in fact go hard for what it was. 

7 hours ago, kpr said:

soon as you go cams,  most cases its to much for the factory ecu to deal with. unless its an ecu that can be tuned. really need an aftermarket ecu and a good tune to get it all running nice.   

So you’re saying once again carb is superior to fuel injection?  

• Haha 1