Tricycle nostalgia

tortron

Screenshot_20230325_172242.thumb.jpg.e49429e74ea192a0ce9c699d0618b68d.jpg

I actually have the frame sitting in a big one as well, there's 2 spots that are brazed which won't like it, but il just tickle them with the mig welder later

The tray is savable, but for the time and effort to strip all thr paint, cut and weld patches I decided not to bother. The frame has a hole in one section, so that but will get repaires

Screenshot_20230325_172148.jpg

• Like 4

My tricycle was an Empire. I know nothing about them. I do remember undoing the screws which held the rear mud guard support on. And it flopped around quite badly after that. 

Also I remember that plinking one foot in the tray, and trying to ride it like a scooter resulted in me doing a face plant and grazing my chin.  42 years ago and I still remember it.

Pain the best teacher. 

• Like 6

It's just a kids trike, let's not get too crazy

IMG_20230326_174346.thumb.jpg.dca831dc45ce154533d1d25beb4045f3.jpg

Wait, no not like that

These are the headset "bearings" if my memory of 30 years ago is correct, there should be an oil soaked felt washer between them. 

The bottom one was nickel plated, the other two, hard to say, very rough surface so I don't think they were. However they will all now be nickel plated 

I will also replate the bars, and probably do the wheels

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Wheels painted

I panel glue urethaned the old tyres back on and ran a screw through the join. Will see how that goes

Tried my hand at some gold leaf lettering, boy that shit sticks to everything. 

And added an Indian coin for a head badge. 

Anna's birthday in a couple weeks, just got to plate the bars and it's done. 

Supposed to have hubcaps on the rear wheels, but I only have one, will think about pewter casting another if I get time

IMG_20230417_165415.jpg

• Like 9