Richy's Mid Life Crisis, Season 2, Episode 1, "Shit, another motorcycle!"

Snoozin

Yeah everything is well within where it should be, prior to getting KSS to supply the shock and spring I took a bunch of measurements of where it was sitting with me on it, geared up with the original spring - they specced the new rate pretty good based on my info supplied.

• 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, Snoozin said:

So, this thing's currently sitting in the shed gathering dust because I'm an idiot/terrible at riding these things, and I fell off it and broke something important.

But first, a wee yarn about the some misadventures.

53301336722_544dd648ef_h.jpg2007 Yamaha XT660R Phone (145) by Richard Opie, on Flickr

About 3 weeks ago, I went for a skid to see @oftensideways up the line. I mainly wanted to hoon on Turakina Valley Rd as I'd been told the gravel bits were pretty rad. So I did, but to get there I did a pretty convoluted loop, taking in Zig Zag Rd, Ridge Rd, Peep O Day Rd, Sandon Block Rd and then doubling back to Turakina Valley Rd before running that all the way to Tangiwai. I made the journey to get to Sean's place about 280km in total (whoops) and did 450km by the time I'd gotten home. Big day for a rookie, bike ran flawlessly and I didn't fall off.

53302198676_3235e3f9b0_h.jpg2007 Yamaha XT660R Phone (148) by Richard Opie, on Flickr

The next day though, didn't end so well (this isn't me breaking the thing, though, really). I tagged along on a loosely organised ride with a Manawatu Adv Facebook group (Blizzo went too, and Simon) which took in some roads/trails over Tararua way. All good on the gravel, zipped through Tararua Rd (I think it was) after a run over the Pahiatua Track on the tarmac (getting more and more comfortable on the road but still not totally confident to push hard), then the group headed further East to Puketoi Rd, which starts as a gravel road then turns into an unmaintained paper road/farm track basically.

Anyway, I struggled keeping up (a lot) on this one, mostly due to being inexperienced on what is a relatively hefty piece of gear (and probably, in retrospect not the best bike for tackling this sort of stuff, but here we are). It can be a bit demoralising when you lose contact with the group, but I soldiered on, concentrating on looking ahead, picking my lines and doing the best I could. Then the front end started shaking a bit at 30km/h and faster... shit, a puncture. Of course, I had a tube and some tools. BUT I was missing the 14mm hex key to remove the front axle. I turned around and went several KM back on a flat front tyre, and left the bike at the last farm house we'd encountered. A couple of the other blokes helped me out, and I got a lift back into town on the back of an Africa Twin (DCT gearbox is nice!) before hauling the trailer out and picking it up. 3.5hr round trip!!!

53302198721_aa593c9b06_h.jpg2007 Yamaha XT660R Phone (146) by Richard Opie, on Flickr

So that was a bit shit really. But I fixed it the next evening, threw a new tube in and all that, and decided I go for a burn later that week after work. I also fitted up some spare plastics I got from Japan, wrapped the minters with the nice stickers up in bubble wrap and stashed them away for selling time. Looks all right all naked and stuff I guess.

53302674170_4b2bc955bd_h.jpg2007 Yamaha XT660R Phone (151) by Richard Opie, on Flickr

And so off we went on a Wednesday or a Thursday night or something. Off, back up the Pahiatua Track and this time turning off to the left at the top, and taking in North Range Rd. It starts off nice and smooth, as an access road mainly for the wind turbines, but quickly deteriorates into a 4x4 track, which posed some challenges to the novice rider.

53302674110_3455a1e277_h.jpg2007 Yamaha XT660R Phone (153) by Richard Opie, on Flickr

Nice views before it got a bit bumpier, though!

53302198566_d869710783_h.jpg2007 Yamaha XT660R Phone (155) by Richard Opie, on Flickr

I went for a short walk to check out what I'd gotten myself into, before actually proceeding on the bike down some of these sections. They were relatively slippery clay-ish sort of stuff, but I managed all right, albeit at a leisurely pace. Thankful for a good tyre on the front!

53301336517_03cb6945f9_h.jpg2007 Yamaha XT660R Phone (157) by Richard Opie, on Flickr

Plenty of rutted out areas. This one was extreme, and I didn't ride through it, but did some others... water in some cases was thigh-deep (I waded into a couple just to check first).

53302571069_8854cb96eb_h.jpg2007 Yamaha XT660R Phone (159) by Richard Opie, on Flickr

And this is probably indicative of most of the track, some of these holes/puddles were deceptively deep so I didn't risk hitting everything with lots of speed. 

But then I fell off (the first time). One particularly gnarly looking rut looked a bit daunting, so I chose to go around on the outside, following some bike ruts along a narrow ledge to the left of the big 4x4 hole. Was going OK, until I had to give it some throttle to get enough drive through a boggy spot, then the rear tyre jumped out of the rut I was riding in, and spat me and the bike off the 'ledge' to the right hand side, and into the mud hole. The bike went competely upside down dangling over the half meter or so ledge (it has an inertia switch to cut power thankfully) and I ended up in the mud. Lol. I laughed a bit to be fair, and then quickly focused on the "how the fuck am I going to recover the bike" task at hand. Turns out you can shift 170kg of bike pretty easily when you have to, and it wasn't as difficult as I feared to stand it back upright. We got out of that one OK.

Closer to the end of the '4x4' section though, I binned it again, just hit a submerged rock and got all out of rhythm - again, in a muddy/wet hole. I think this is where the damage occured, although it didn't make itself known to me until later.

53302571064_2113b78a78_h.jpg2007 Yamaha XT660R Phone (161) by Richard Opie, on Flickr

This is just out the other side, at this point I was ignorant to the problem that would befall me only a few minutes down the track...

53302674015_1b178af4e6_h.jpg2007 Yamaha XT660R Phone (162) by Richard Opie, on Flickr

Here's the last pic I took, descending back down to Gorge Rd at the other end of the track. You can see the muffler has been tweaked slightly after taking a hit. I have ordered an additional bracket/clamp for it and will improve this. While taking this photo of the lovely golden hour views, the temp warning light came on.... bit odd, I thought, but didn't think anything of it and coasted downhill until it switched off before making my way down under power. Until it came on again.

I wasn't far out of Woodville when I thought I'd take a look and whoooops.... the somewhat vulnerable hose from water pump to the radiator had holed, I think mainly because the hose was old and brittle. I patched it with tape as best I could, and filled up a small amount of water from what was left in my bottle and continued home. The light came on again, the tape didn't do a perfect job.... so I pressed on. 

Hopefully no damage was incurred to the engine. It ran fine all the way home, and I figured as long as the temp light was on, there was still water in it... presently waiting for a hose from Yamaha and I'll have it all patched up and ready to go again. 

If you've stayed with me, thanks for reading. It's probably not that interesting to the experienced riders here, but very much a learning curve. I'm wondering if I've over-invested in a not very suitable bike, it would actually be nice to have a bit less weight to deal with and I think would help my confidence a bit. So the XT's future is in the balance. It's a wonderful gravel bike, but leaves something to be desired on the tight stuff, despite the list of upgrades it has. First though, fix it and hope it's all OK after running hot for a little while.

Far from being uninteresting, you take great photos and tell a story of adventure with humility.

I never rode a motorbike until I was ~25 (I'd been pillion with Dad but my unclle had died after a crash, so I wasn't allowed my own until I left home). I've been a mountain biker for a long time, but the weight, especially downhill on gravel I still find unnerving at times.

I've usually been on the smallest bike in the group. It's great when things get a bit wild to have something more manageable.

Last year I sold my WR250R to fund my NBC110 tweaks and that has worked pretty well. I still get to get places that are out of the way, but there's no pressure at all.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well that's the end of this era, departed as it arrived into my life. Back down to just the one bike, well, sort of anyway. Something else is sitting in the wings that's been waiting for me to pick up for a number of years.427193819_2707851592698883_6986846118907594545_n.thumb.jpg.adfeb5474b515ba639db943f57739f9c.jpg

• Like 5