Toyota 1ZZ Playing Up

ThePog

Fucking Toyotas are proving less than optimal for me these days.

Our Toyota Wish with a 1ZZfe and 250000kms is having issues that are mostly my fault. The plastic cover over the engine was broken so I chucked it when I replaced the brushes in the alternator a while ago.

But it turns out one of its functions was to keep water out of the plug holes. It started missing a bit and number 1 hole was full of water when the plugs were replaced. I have reinstated the cover now.

However it hasn't really fixed it. It will be fine on the first drive of the day but then will start missing on the way back from the shops.

There is also kindof a lag when you turn the throttle wheel at the engine, like its a bit wheezy. Also there is a similar gaspy sound from that area when idling and the engine will stutter when it happens. This is very intermittent.

Its probably time to buy something else but it would be nice to keep it going for a while longer.

I feels like a coil pack might be bung from sitting in water and heat soak is causing it to break down? but then the gaspy thing feels like it is contributing somehow. But this might also be the result of a misfire from the coil pack.

I will go and look at a Fielder Hybrid today, but in the meantime are there any suggestions or opinions?

If you want an economical boring runabout get a Honda something.. 

If you want to fix that Toyota pos then maybe plug in a scanner and see if the IAT and ECT sensors are happy. It also may pick up which cylinder is misfiring and give you the option to shuffle the coil pack to a different cylinder to see if the miss moves about. 

You may have disturbed or damaged wiring during the alternator fix up. It sound to me like a semi limp mode for too high temp of some sort. And the miss may be a soft rev limit. 

39 minutes ago, mjrstar said:

If you want an economical boring runabout get a Honda something.. 

If you want to fix that Toyota pos then maybe plug in a scanner and see if the IAT and ECT sensors are happy. It also may pick up which cylinder is misfiring and give you the option to shuffle the coil pack to a different cylinder to see if the miss moves about. 

You may have disturbed or damaged wiring during the alternator fix up. It sound to me like a semi limp mode for too high temp of some sort. And the miss may be a soft rev limit. 

Fortunately the wish does not have a temperature gauge so it is easy to tell if things are wrong there.

Im pretty sure its all to do with water in the plug hole, even if there are some other issues going on. It runs absolutely fine when it runs fine.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ThePog said:

And it's probably going to be a fielder as there are very few options for a hybrid that is also a station wagon.

Prius Alpha was the replacement for the Wish. I drove one from Chch to Nelson, the taxi driver/owner encouraged me to use the  'power' mode and told me to go as fast as I wanted. 

Just test drove a fielder, it was just like every Toyota wagon ever.

Also more info. It ran sweet for a couple of months after the plugs were replaced, it is only just now playing up again.

It has actually been a fantastic car, we got it as a fresh import 10 years ago and have used the fuck out of it, but its started using a bit of oil and its now pretty rough round the edges so its probably time.