chasinthemirages '88 VL Royale

chasinthemirage

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I did a thing. I saw another VL listed on trademe and quite liked the look of it but didn't really think too much more about it as I couldn't really justify spending anymore coin. Watched it for a week or two and then the E36 I'd been dailying packed up again, parts for the Bimmer are bloody expensive and I loathe the thing anyway so that will be for sale soon and this will be taking its place.

SP7Lurl.jpg

pYBpTa8.jpg

1gAbxoX.jpg

It's RB30E auto, paint is a bit tired but it does everything I want from a daily with the bonus of being something I actually like driving. The main selling point for me was the interior. Madeira Red is my favourite of the interior options, maybe one day it'll get Calais headlamps, an LS and a two tone respray in Tuxedo Black over Asteroid Silver but for now I'll get a nicer looking set of wheels/chuck my cop steelies on it and tidy up a few odds and ends and just roll it as is.

Also included in the sale was a rather stuffed parts car. It belonged to the son of the seller and they were sick of it sitting in the yard so asked if I was interested in it.

moVH6sD.jpg

rnezWgc.jpg

It's powered by a 3.8 out of a VP (I think) and has a 5 speed box and a V8 LSD diff. I'm going to pinch the diff for the Royale although I'm a wee bit concerned about the effect that changing the diff ratio will have as the RB30ET doesn't produce quite as much torque as the 5.0L Maybe not enough difference to be an issue? Also need to look into whether I can swap the crown wheel and pinion from the original diff into the LSD head to keep the same ratio and keep the speedo working correctly. That's a problem for another day though, current priority is stripping all the decent parts off the crashed Vacationer so I can get it off my long suffering parents driveway.

• Like 7

I'm so in love with that interior.

Don't worry too much about the diff ratio. My old Royale had a 3.08 in it. Didn't really notice too much difference when I put a 3.45 back into it aye. Biggest question is what car is it from originally, if it's from a VN onwards then it will be about 40mm wider than the factory diff which can cause problems with getting wheels to fit. And because of the design of the axle they can't be shortened 

also so what size and condition are the wheels on the vacationer in? 

11 hours ago, f100_dreamin said:

I'm so in love with that interior.

Don't worry too much about the diff ratio. My old Royale had a 3.08 in it. Didn't really notice too much difference when I put a 3.45 back into it aye. Biggest question is what car is it from originally, if it's from a VN onwards then it will be about 40mm wider than the factory diff which can cause problems with getting wheels to fit. And because of the design of the axle they can't be shortened 

also so what size and condition are the wheels on the vacationer in? 

That's good to know, I was a bit worried it might bog a bit down low. Pretty sure the diff is from the same VP as the motor and gearbox but I haven't actually checked yet. I'm removing the running gear this weekend so I'll stick the cop steelies on before I pull the diff and see how they fit. Worse case scenario I can get them modified to make the offset a bit more positive. The wheels are 18" Advantis (I think) but the front two are stuffed from the crash and the back two are quite scratched and also possibly cracked. Bit unfortunate as I quite like the look of them.

deqNgXh.jpg

2 hours ago, Vintage Grumble said:

That red interior brings back memories, my olds one had the same interior. They also had a Celica at the same time with a bright blue interior, the 80s we're great weren't they.

Keep up the good work.

Yeah I do love how 80's the interior is, I just wish it had cup holders!

6 hours ago, chasinthemirage said:

Yeah I do love how 80's the interior is, I just wish it had cup holders!

Just drive around with a goon bag of Country Red wine under your shirt and you'll never need cup holders again.

Bonus: If you spill some, It will stain faded parts of the interior back to new! Better living everyone.

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Haven't done anything to the Royale in the last month but I've been busy stripping the parts car. Not too much more to come off that and then the shell can go to the crusher. Dad and I measured the width of the V8 LSD on the weekend, it's 40mm wider than the original Royale diff. Stupidly I didn't try the wheels before I removed it from the parts car so tonight I used some wheel nuts to simulate the extra width of the new diff and test fitted a couple of wheels.

K3fWqPo.jpg

The nuts are 19mm deep so close enough.

There's a set of E34 alloys on trademe currently which are local but before I go bidding on them I want to ensure they'll fit. 

PRhMkFr.jpg

rPE535Y.jpg

V1jD6iU.jpg

This is an E34 alloy borrowed from my brother with a 225/60R15 tyre. I think it's sitting slightly higher than normal in the photos but it looks like it's going to be bloody close to the guards. I'll be running a 205 tyre which will hopefully fit, I could probably run a 195 if the 205 is going to foul the guard but then that seems to defeat the purpose of having an LSD?

Worse case scenario I can just run the cop steelies and get them widened/offset changed to suit as the 15x7 steelies still seem to have plenty of room.

WqTmwbd.jpg

Hopefully these E34 alloys will fit as it'd be nice to have a disc brake LSD rear end without having to roll the guards , bit unfortunate the diff can't be narrowed really!

• Like 1

Its changed hands many times in the last few years. I believe it was originally a 30e, its had a 350 at some stage, nothing atm. Its in a bit of a state but I couldnt help myself. I regretted selling my last one, I had to get another.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The remains of the parts car went to the scrap yard the other week. Don't think I'll part another car out again as it's really just been a pain in the bum although the sale of the motor and box has offset the purchase of my daily somewhat.

siCW50S.jpg

Tonight I pulled a few more bits off the Royales motor. I had my suspicions that the motor hadn't had antifreeze in it for awhile and judging by the condition of these pipes I think that's the case.

F7Tfz62.jpg

bdB1PhL.jpg

l2vJVfk.jpg

aqjgA7k.jpg

The pipes are pretty nasty but most of them will still be ok with the exception of the bypass tube in the idle control valve. I cleaned the inside of it with a .30 calibre rifle cleaning brush and it came apart. The big flake is paper thin, I think my best bet may be to cut the tube off and tap the housing for a brass fitting unless anyone has any other ideas? I still need to remove the exhaust manifold and turbocharger as I figure I may as well clean out the turbo coolant lines while I'm at it. I've got the inlet piping off the turbo so far, how much play is acceptable in a turbo? As much as I want to get everything done properly I've been agonizing over the wider LSD diff and the wheel choice before it goes for cert for awhile now and tbh I'm pretty keen to get this thing running and rolling again and throw in the towel.

10 hours ago, chasinthemirage said:

As much as I want to get everything done properly I've been agonizing over the wider LSD diff and the wheel choice before it goes for cert for awhile now and tbh I'm pretty keen to get this thing running and rolling again and throw in the towel.

Giving up on the car? Or just getting it going as is and throwing it through a cert?