Speedo Gear for 1978 Colt Wagon 3 Speed Auto

jshanks

I just paid severely to have a local shop rebuild the baby 904 3 speed in my 78 Colt wagon. (way too much) One of the several things that they didn't bother to take care of was installing the speedo cable because, according to him, there are at least a half dozen different gear possibilities. I find that hard to believe. Can anyone tell me the correct part number or send me a link to the gear and cable assembly? It would be much appreciated since anyone that I go to here in the US acts like my car came from Mars whenever I tell them what it is.

Been a long while since i played with one of those.

But your main issue is going to be.

- what diff ratio have you got? This will determine what gear/s are needed from factory. Then its just if tyre diameter is different from factory to how close it will be.

There's several different drive gears and driven gears from factory. From memory. 

I may have an old manual out in the shed. But will need to know what diff ya got.

Hmm....I'll have to find out. Everything is factory original on this wagon and I haven't been under it at all yet. The person that I got it from "supposedly" rebuilt the gearbox before I got it from him.  All I know is that it has a baby 904 tranny. I will see if I can find out the diff ratio in the few manuals that I found.That turned out to be not true. In the process, I found out that he removed all kinds of stuff (including the speedo gear) that is haunting me now.

Did some digging.

My manual is useless for part numbers etc.

It just shows how to disassemble and what tools to use and specs.

All it says about speedo gear is.

Check number of teeth on gear and align the speedo adapter housing to the correct notch at the 6oclock position.

As for different drive gears ot seems the actual output shaft is the drive gear. So just different driven gears. But once again no mention of what they are.

Sorry 

No worries. That is a better answer than the guy at the transmission shop gave me by a longshot. At least I can figure something out one way or the other. This is the same person who charged me $2400 for a complete rebuild but when I came for it yesterday he said, " By the way, when you put it in drive you have to sort of feel for the sweet spot."   I won't be going there again.

The shifter is off. I have all gears now, as I had lost all but reverse before the "rebuild" I assume the linkage needs to be adjusted. The speedo has not worked since I got it. The cable is there but the gear is not according to the guy that just had the gearbox out of the car. I hope to get it sorted out with him soon as I have a pinion bearing that is growling pretty  bad that I need to look into next. I'm not giving up on this wagon any time soon. It will probably nickel and dime me to death, but no one else has one around here so I am going to keep at it.

$2400 ain't no nickel and dime expense..

But yeah, keep it going.

You could get away with just putting any random speedo drive gear in there and seeing how accurate your speedo is and take it from there. After all, any speedo is better than none.