rxtoy's 1984 Toyota Hilux + UZ!

fuel

Pretty sure it's electronic, and it's not smokey at all.

It's got solenoids for shifting through the gears, wouldn't have vacuum as well?

I didn't realise at first that I needed to check the level whole at idle, but the fact the levels dropped enough that I lose reverse still says leak to me. Going to seal the fuck out of the sump and put it back together after work tomorrow.

Cheers

Matt

Yeah, I was bringing it home the other night, bit of rain on the highway, just taking off normally then realise I'm not going anywhere. Big smile moment :)

I'm thinking about locking the diff and taking it down the drags, see how it goes/ruin my tyres while warming them up.

Also considering manualising the box, it's electrical magic stuff but I've got a mate who loves that shit. I'm just not sure if it's going to make it super annoying to drive normally though, the auto is making me lazy

love this ute. i've got an 84 and this is what i want mine to be. only mines a tray. and ex farm hack. so its 10000 times rougher lol. i love the interior though is that an aussie spec or a bit custom cos it looks really smart in black compated to the poo brown ones i've seen specced here in nz. i've not seen those door cards before either.  if you change out that steering wheel i'd be interested in  yours btw. 

keeping track of this thread.

joe. 

Cheers man

Door cards are definitely not stock, dash was originally blue, not sure whether that colour was an Aussie option, I know the 88 single cab I had back in NZ was all brown originally

Steering wheel will be up for grabs eventually, I haven't got the $ spare at the moment to buy a replacement though so it'll be a while. Postage on packages from Aus to NZ is pretty killer too, I've sent a few presents back to family and usually end up paying more for the postage. If there's room in my bag next time I head back that's a possibility though, but that won't be until late January.

Mine is actually pretty rough around the edges too, paint job is all over the place with shade and quality, white just photographs well.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

thats cool yeah mine is 84 square headight. yeah mines brown dash and tan seat and trim. perfectly 80's. its nice to see one getting some love anyway, rough or not these are getting rarer by the week. most now are just running their days out as farm hacks. i suppose thats what they were built for but still..  and thats cool on the wheel. mine wont ever justify or need anything flash but i've got a boomerang shaped one and i detest it. anything to replace it is cool. but yeah sweet as anyway keep me in mind at least.

• Like 1

I've never heard of to high octane causing detonation, is that a thing?

The guy I bought it off said to use 98, I'm just getting to the point of looking into it a bit more myself.

Cheers

Matt

Detonation can occur if too low  octane fuel is used in a higher  compression engine and / or ignition timing too advanced etc

http://www.misterfixit.com/deton.htm

• Like 1