Daves new school holden shambles

Muncie

Inlet is now sharing space with wastegate and exhaust supposedly really easy to flip it 180 degrees to drivers side so will do that, should make the intercooler plumbing far easier.

Oh fuck me intercooler too! Injectors fuel pump fuel pressure regulator etc etc. Just got to keep chipping at it.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, cletus said:

Might want to reconsider wastegate position before you get too far along? 

images (5).jpeg

Noted, in my head it looked like the best flow option with priority to the turbo but able open the gate to release pressure.

Will see what I can do ive built so it can be easily modified at least.....

With what you see what would you do?

Use one of these? 

Screenshot_20230824_210352.jpg

Think ive got a plan re the wastegate placement, will more or less stay in the same place just the pipework will be reconfigured a bit to transition more of a 50/50 flow to wastegate and turbo.

Thanks to @Honda Ass Dragger I now have an Innovate LC-2 Wideband to install.

That's led me to trying to work out how to integrate it in to the stock ecu apparently it's a piece of cake and the calibration file I have already supports it. My biggest problem I've got at moment is my lead won't talk to the car through Tunerpro it used to on my old laptop then stopped ive now got a new laptop too, Hopefully it's not a Windows 11 problem.

Will do some trouble shooting today see if I can pull the bin file from PCM using a different program then try using the settings to get Tunerpro talking again.

I now have a huge pile of car parts in garage that even the mrs is impressed with! 

• Like 2

Well got coms going again with car Reflashed PCM with clean version of binary file. And it starts and runs so successful there.

Fingers crossed plugged in and tunerpro is trying but still not working its a setting somewhere in the config so can't see live data or log anything.

• Like 2

On 24/08/2023 at 17:55, Muncie said:

Noted, in my head it looked like the best flow option with priority to the turbo but able open the gate to release pressure.

Will see what I can do ive built so it can be easily modified at least.....

With what you see what would you do?

Use one of these? 

Screenshot_20230824_210352.jpg

Something like that would be better

In my opinion (and I'm not a tuning whiz, it's just stuff I've done that hasn't caused any problems) wastegate flow is important, even more so on something that is going to run lower boost (as the gate is going to flow more) and might be a bit fragile or sensitive to boost spikes or fluctuations 

16931126965106440310432846684113.jpg

1693112752075652884138586786527.jpg

• Like 6

Definitely taking that on ive ordered some more parts to reconfigure it, it's a 60mm gate so as soon as it opens there's going to need to be good flow to it or it's going to be terrible, turbo on this engine could support 700hp efficiently and I'm betting the insides would fall into the sump around 500hp so good control needs to be a priority.

Interestingly this setup had a single 38mm wastegate venting only the drivers side exhaust flow welded on at a fucked angle im betting it came up for sale after killing a few engines.

50mm turbosmart gate, turbo is a GT4082 which is just an oem scania truck turbo. apparently good for about 600hp

i chose it because it was quite cheap compared to a "performance" turbo of similar size.

turbo guy reckoned the exhaust side was a bit big and the comp side a bit small but it seems to work well. makes boost from about 2000rpm, full boost by 25-2700ish, i rev it to 6 and it doesnt drop off

only downside was i had to make v band things to suit, as the downpipe is a scania specific part 

Finally Managed to get Tunerpro Talking to the car again settings were vastly different to how my previous laptop was setup, program would crash then i got coms but only Transmission information few more settings got some engine information and no trans information....... randomly checked a few more options everything fired back up all the onscreen dash became live, And it works so much better than my previous laptop everything is quick data logs nicely was a bit hit and miss before.

If i wanted to run an aftermarket ECU i'd need something that can run the trans too hence i'm giving it a nudge others have with good results otherwise i'd run a Haltech R3 or something.

Thank fuck for that! simage.thumb.png.f44096db9c5e76dcf3e292f19b5c43a5.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/08/2023 at 17:13, cletus said:

Might want to reconsider wastegate position before you get too far along? 

images (5).jpeg

A wise once chap said hold up.... something ain't right.

So I ordered some parts chopped some things off and started again.

Now ive actually got 50/50 priority  turbo or wastegate.

Chopped the T3 flange off and did my best to make a 4-1 merge to sit the new 1-2 90 degree blend which has some other benefits everything will end up closer to the manifold win win. Now to get v bands on this and weld it all together.

From there I'll  probably fit it in the car  and start making the downpipe and front crossover in the engine bay. I may roll up at drag day N/A or turbo at this rate...... or as a spectator.

If anyone has a sharp price on 3.5" tube message me a need some.

IMG_20230911_180614_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 1

It's certainly a different mounting approach to how others do it.

Probably not better or worse but to service it will be ace spark plugs are easy to get to everything is vee band so a few spanners everything could come out in a few minutes.

Changes of wastegate springs will be piss easy too as its a gate off job due to needing a clamp to squeeze the top hat on to drop bolts it, not at all hard it not been under car will save my back.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok some of you are probably thinking Muncie you Dickhead your inlet is pointing straight at your wastegate.

I've been on hunt for a spare plenum to chop up and flip, stumbled across one already done but not very neatly welded it was cheap though! So I'll save money not buy one from Mace engineering fill my argon and weld it up better as practice for the intercooler plumbing 

It's been sealed up with jb weld in places so will sort that fill in the nasty bits and try making it pretty.

Sometimes I'm ace on alloy others I struggle a bit more exposure can't hurt.

Will also linish up the ports too

IMG_20230926_171615_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_20230926_171652_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 2

Played around with this reversed manifold today. No pics of cleanup because boring basically hit the epoxy shit with a blow torch and it fell off easily with flathead screwdriver prodding.

Hit it with a grinder was really dirty welds so ground it all out and started learning how to set up my welder (and learn how to weld aluminium) watched a few YouTube videos...... this is what I managed was a few shitty casting voids which took some time to burn out and fill in. Solid as fuck im happy enough.

Used all my gas up so off for first re-fill.

IMG_20231001_180633_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 2

Wofs out in a week or 2 undecided if I strip engine bay out get existing engine turbo'd and and learn to tune without risk of killing something expensive. Will see how it goes through a wof make my mind up from there. #roughdavescience.

• Like 3