Engine Spark issues

tintin

Can anyone help

I have had a problem with getting constant spark.

With a timing light attached the light does not have a constant pulse, it pulses well then stops and then hit and miss and carry on occurs.

I have replaced leads, plugs, cap, points, condenser and coil and can't figure out what else to do.

This is on an Toyota 18r (the vehicle I'm trying to sell) and has just suddenly started doing it, it will strart when cold and runs well then dies and won't start again if it does start it has a really bad miss.

Vehicle was running well last week the only new thing i have done is the coil I put on today to try and fix it

Did you wipe clean the points surface before installing them?

The two contact points will have anti-corrosion coating on them and it needs to be wiped off before installing them.

I always used to open them up with my thumb and then clamp them down onto the collar of my overalls and rub them back and forth half a dozen times before installing them.

• Like 1

Everything was replaced probably 6weeks ago and has been going fine, this miss fire is new so I replaced the coil today with no change

It's not a fuel problem it is a electrical problem getting constant spark to the spark plugs, have had them out and earthed them, don't know where or what the problem would be, do I start replacing stuff again

Sounds like you've gone through everything just re check again .

I would suspect the new HT leads could be of poor quality and are breaking down when get warm.   

Have had this happen on an HJ Holden 173.

Did you replace the HT lead between the coil and distributor as well?

also check low voltage connections  in distributor between points condenser  earth if anythings loose - not conneced up correctly

Sounds like you've gone through everything just re check again .

I would suspect the new HT leads could be of poor quality and are breaking down when get warm.

Have had this happen on an HJ Holden 173.

Did you replace the HT lead between the coil and distributor as well?

also check low voltage connections in distributor between points condenser earth if anythings loose - not conneced up correctly

All leads were replaced

Will check leads tomorrow

hey buddy , pretty sure it will be the condenser , new ones are often useless , put old one back or try another new one ...... maybe even genuine or different suplier if possible . good luck

Mate you are a legend,

Put an old one in I found in the shed and purrs like a kitten again.

Thanks

• Like 1