welded door, panel a bit warped

dave123456789

hey guys me and my bro mattybean been balls deep in rust repairs on the prince.

everything went perfect except the last door. the panel has warped, you can push it in and out and it pops like a shitty old oil can. one side ican push out and it looks sweet but if I shut the door it will pop back in.

how do I fix this? do I have to cut it out and start again?

its just a couple patches at bottom of the door and a bigger patch still at the bottom but it extends over the lower door "ridge" and onto the main bit flat bit.

ill post photos if needed otherwise anyone know how to fix this out east Auckland? cheers.

I'm no expert by any stretch but will just throw something in here.

I think its possible that the popping has been caused by weld shrinkage.. So I'd probably put a dolly behind the weld and give it a few taps with a hammer to try produce a little more material.

In this situation a shrink disk might not be the right tool.

• Like 1

Pictures for reference.

Can see the high spot in the middle above that extra bit we welded and the low on either side. Closest low to camera I can push out quite easily but it wants to revert back in

2rxi548.jpg

2z4wy2w.jpg

Photos don't really show it also lighting on that side of the garage sucks (it's closest to the wall)

I'm not worried about the bottom of the door as that was really bad, basicly all hammered in quite severely then bogged over its just that larger flat area above my primered stuff that makes me sad

Yea as you weld it shrinks the steel, you should be stretching it out with a hammer and dolly as you go (after each tack/small section of weld). Hopefully your welds had proper penetration so you can grind them flat and work them into shape.

Would a small shop hammer or a builders hammer and a block of steel work fine? Otherwise ill have to get some new tools.

Yea welds have all good penetration, I just haven't ground them flush cause don't need to. All other doors are mint just this one just went crappy. I just don't know where I'm smacking, do I just go around each patch until the panel pops back into shape? I'm in the garage now but am struggling to work out where to start

Basically stretch each weld by tapping the steel into a dolly. Just hold a block of steel (or the head of a heavy hammer, or an actual dolly from SCA or trademe) onto the back side of the weld and tap it from the outside. Just slowly work ur way all over the welds evenly.. Tap here tap there until you feel like its all covered.. Then if its not fixed do it again but tap a little firmer. Eventually you should see that it's sorted itself out.

PS. As stated in no expert. Wavy panels drive me mad

• Like 3