how do i get brighter tail lights?

dave123456789

hey guys how to I go about getting brighter tail lights and brake lights? I had a little test during the day and they are barely visable in the daylight. my indicators are red too and can barely see them also. want to get this sorted before I get it on the road to avoid people bum rushing me when they for some reason cant understand why they are rapidly getting closer to my car.

its running 12v system. could I just smash higher w bulbs in there and be happy or do I need some rewiring? some other sort of wizardry? im pretty clueless when it comes to electrics but if I could be pointed in the right direction me and my multi could prob just wing it.

cheers.

• Like 1

What car is it? Turn signals and reverse lamps should have 21W bulbs while if the tail/stop lamps are combined should be 5/21W dual filament or if separate close to 5 and 21W respectively. I would clean out the lenses first and then check voltages going to the bulbs and investigate any drop.

• Like 2

clean all the contacts

clean the insides of the lens and bulb holder/reflector

clean the grounds

run new wires if its in bad shape

you wont need to run anything stronger

I had a look and there's a couple of twist tape connections and a random wire floating around with a circle connector thing on the end. Will look into that this weekend.

Inside of lenses was sweet but my reverse lamps have heaps of real tiny cracks all over as they are pretty old. Can't tell if brake ones have them too.

The reflector is a bit of polished metal that could definitely go for a good polish, will get some autosol and give that a go.

My bulbs are all 5w. Is that fine?

Cars a 66. Will get googling about relays. Ill take a photo with it before and after this weekend and see what makes a difference.

• Like 1