Leaking heater core

NickTheFox

So I may have gone abit overboard with radiator flush in my 1200 and now my heater core is leaking. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with getting heater cores repaired? Are they even repairable, I'm guessing the copper is now all super thin.

I was going to ring this place up tomorrow http://www.petoneradiators.co.nz/ but thought I should do some research first.

• Like 1

I think I have a spare heater if you want a low buck solution?

I'm sure an OS peep from the bottom of the north could drag it back up from Hanmnats for ya.

My guess would be if the actual core is leaking, then it's going to need a re-core. And although they're fuckloads smaller than a full size rad, there's a similar amount of labour involved.

rip the core out, and test it to see where it's leaking from. all the hoses will be old and fucked by now. As will the valve too.

The good news is, that for a price Birdflu can sell you all new hoses/valve etc which will fit like they oughta. (No shaped hoses fit like poos, and crimp over to strangle to flow.

• Like 1

So I gave petone radiators a call and he reckoned it will be about $300 for a re-core. Which is about more than I wanted to spend on it atm.

I might take you up on that offer there. When I got my coupe it had no heater tap and just generic 1/2 heater hose. I have seen that you can get silicon replacement hoses from Bproject in Japan which I might look into. How much would you want for your heater core?

Radiator/heaters don't always store well, so make sure you pressure test a second hand one before you get it fitted.

Last one I had to mess with, it was quite a bit cheaper to import a repro part than get the core replaced (this was for my yank tank)

Tis true.

I fitted a heater to my 1200 the day before nats 11, and it was sweet as. BUt they do give up when dry stored.

Also, 300 is a rip off. I could almost get a V8 radiator recored for that money.

I got quoted about $450 the heater core in the Mercury. The man said the core would have to specially made, hence $$$.

Thanks for the help guys. Sadly there's no repro heaters around for these.

$300 was a rough price over the phone, so I'll take it into them and get them to have a look and do the usual cash bargaining.

My only other option is to try retro fit something from another car. However finding something that's is about the same size might be pretty tricky