Gearbox dilemma

Hanzonit

I have a 88 toyota hilux that im dropping a 3.8 supercharged v6 holden motor in to.
Problem is that the supercharger is over-driven and is running 11psi instead of standard 8psi.
Therefore the standard T5 gearbox on the back of it crapped itself. What would be able to handle the torque? 

T5's are pretty tough boxes dude.  I doubt very much a V6 bombadore engine with 11lbs of boost would put out much more than 260hp. 

Id imagine your wheels will spin before anything breaks unless what was said above and your box has been thrashed to death or done very high ks.

• Like 1

gearboxes that whine and crunch gears are screaming out for repair, if nothing is done of course its going to shit its self. if its making a "funny" sound its not going to get better or last like that for ever.

that being said, new bearing and synchromesh units you might be away laughing once again .  I have repaired many gearboxes in my time, kits can be had from reputable sellers on ebay for good prices .

what is currently happening with it? it may still be savable  . are you game for trying a gearbox rebuild? kits will be readily available , they are very common .  

T5's aren't the greatest box on the planet, World Class versions are rated for 300 ft/lb of torque, non WC are about 260 from memory. It's torque not HP that breaks stuff.

Having said all that I have a WC T5 behind the 350 Pontiac in my Firebird, that rated at 380 ft/lb and that box has survived. The protection is the crappy rear tires. 

Since you already have gearbox, bell housing, clutch........ I would rebuild the gearbox.