hydrualic systems

smokin'joe

ok, so i have bought a certed 2-door flat deck vitara for our Catlins block clearing mission.

i need to make the deck tipping, as there is no other suitable position for the spare wheel apart from a cradle above fuel tank, and there isn't enough room to slide it under deck.

options are:

12v pump/resiviour off small taillift/wheelchair hoist ,

engine driven pump 

struggling to find a 12v unit cheaply, used to give these away 5 years ago !!!, so engine mounted could be next cheapest option.

if it is engine driven, can i replace existing P/S pump and run steering on hydraulic fluid as opposed to ATF ?

alternatively , would a P/S pump provide enough pressure to run a small hydraulic ram  or 2 ?

airbag not suitable, as i want to run auxillary rams later....... if i go hydraulic.

will get it hinged for a start so i can mount spare wheel, but it really needs mechancal tipping as will be doing plenty of firewood etc with it, as i am clearing broom,blackberry, bracken etc

ATF is fine to use as a Hydraulic. In fact its better.Its  what we use for high heat and loaded hydraulic systems.

Can you use the power steering pump im not sure, but tipping a flat deck with wood on it wouldn't be to hard for a hydro system surely?

smack a hilux/hiace p/s pump where the a/c pump would usually be. I say hilux/hiace coz heaps of 4wd rally guys run them and they can be mucked with easily. they're not too hard to get hold of, have a remote reservoir and seem to be fairly reliable in that application so should run a small tipper reasonably ok. 

lots of dudes in the 4wd circles use them to run full hydro front steering and a steering ram on the rear. often at super low and high revs, and they require high speed reactions so it's much more demand than a tipper would ever be, 

are you wanting it to be tipping just so you can have a spot to chuck ya spare wheel that's not on the deck itself? that's how i read your post? 

if so, perhaps a low profile roofrack to chuck it up on would be the go? not ideal if you get a puncture and have a load that you need to tip off the deck to get at the spare :)

smack a hilux/hiace p/s pump where the a/c pump would usually be. I say hilux/hiace coz heaps of 4wd rally guys run them and they can be mucked with easily. they're not too hard to get hold of, have a remote reservoir and seem to be fairly reliable in that application so should run a small tipper reasonably ok. 

lots of dudes in the 4wd circles use them to run full hydro front steering and a steering ram on the rear. often at super low and high revs, and they require high speed reactions so it's much more demand than a tipper would ever be

thats good to know. they are as common as mud, might even have one stashed in a box in the bowels of my shed

quote name="Dolan" post="1534719" timestamp="1433981131"]

are you wanting it to be tipping just so you can have a spot to chuck ya spare wheel that's not on the deck itself? that's how i read your post?

if so, perhaps a low profile roofrack to chuck it up on would be the go? not ideal if you get a puncture and have a load that you need to tip off the deck to get at the spare :)

want a tipping deck for ease of unloading, as well as access to best available space for spare wheel and keeping weight low

roof rack idea would have merits, but will get in the way when the soft-top is rolled back for spotlighting rabbits,possums etc

• Like 1

bugger, just scrapped a tail-lift pump i couldnt give away for years!

does anyone know if P/S pumps are good for heavier duties, generally being a vane type, as opposed to gear type tailgate pumps?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/trucks/tippers-sliders/auction-898336595.htm

yip, seen that one. 24v and spendier than i hope to spend.

there is this one: http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=901161295, but would need someone to pick-up, strip essentials and freight down to me. price is right, but would expect to owe me many times that price once in Timaru.

i have found a suitable? ram at local scrappies, and did find what i hoped was a hilux P/s pump, but reckon it is L200. does use remote resivour though, but as you mentioned, unsure if vane pump gonna do the business??

bugger, just scrapped a tail-lift pump i couldnt give away for years!

does anyone know if P/S pumps are good for heavier duties, generally being a vane type, as opposed to gear type tailgate pumps?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/trucks/tippers-sliders/auction-898336595.htm

I was just about to ask this. I know vanes can give some good pressure , but id rather put my money on a nice gear pump and be nice and safe tbh. 

I couldnt tell you were to find one for cheaps though .

this thread is relevant to my interests.

What about the generic GM pumps? cheap as chip to buy new and pretty heavy duty, run PS and power assist brakes on heaps of big trucks

how are they driven ? pulley, helical cut gear, or electric ?

belt driven off the engine. As far as i know they are a vane type. Have replaced heaps due to leaking around the main seal ( 30-50 year old chevs so understandable) but so far only seen one properly break when it snapped the main shaft, which was on a late model 2500 silverado

• Like 1

ok it's mega low budget styles.

^sounds lush, would be keen to see one of these gm things tested!  do they have clutches like AC?

what size ram/s have you been looking at? another big factor in how it'll load the pump and your wallet

ok it's mega low budget styles.

what size ram/s have you been looking at? another big factor in how it'll load the pump and your wallet

it dosn't need to be super high spec, as the deck is only 1050mm long, and the pivot point will be approx 250mm from end, so there is only about 80% of total weight being lifted (400kg if wet wood).

the deck only needs to be raised 450mm-ish to get it past 45 degrees, so if it is on a scissor-type underbody lift, ram would only need 250mm of stroke, or 500mm if direct acting front of body. 

going to have a look at some rams this morning and have a chat to a couple of system designers, so will report back.

fucken 'puter froze on me last nite whilst bidding on an old hospital bed that had been used for M/Cycle repairs, manual pump, but remote ram, could have worked, if not could have used it for the aux ram i want to employ.

would it be worth just rolling hand pump re-purposed jack stz?

only if FOB mounted, otherwise be knuckle-smashingly cunty to pump up.

ideally mechanical or electric pump so i can add another aux ram and diverter valve later for additional duties.

push comes to shove i can use a boat winch or a manual ram, but i do like the idea of in-cab control

• Like 1