Alternator woes - advice please?

felixx

So a couple of weeks ago alternator light would flicker at idle in Anglia

(above 1500rpm all good, a steady 13V or so)

Today, Anglia had a flat battery (after sitting for 2 weeks)

I jumped her and voltmeter in car said 12V

(I thought - All good, it will be low as battery was flat)

Took her for a hoon up the road and back, voltage less than 10v

(No alternator light when the engine is running)

Is it my Alternator or battery?
(Or Both)

Weird the light isnt coming on , check voltage @ battery with engine off , then with engine running at high idle (1000 rpm) should be around 14 volts . if its less then 14 but mroe then original battery voltage  then its charging but maybe some of the diodes are knackered. a sparky should be able to chime in here.

Are you sure it even has an alternator?

The Angia has a Generator with a seperate Regulator unless it's been converted.

13 - 14.5v is normal charging rate.

Light flicker at idle is normal, the more revs the more amps so the light goes out.

No light at all means on amps at all.

First check is easy, just wind up the idle to 2000rpm and check voltage at the battery, it should be more than 13v, if it is then it's just the bulb.

If not then.

Worn out brushes or a dirty commutator in the generator.

Regulator can also be out of adjustment.

Bearing wear can also cause problems.

Workshop manual will tell / show how to fix / adjust both. Or drop me a PM and I can copy from my manual.

It has an alternator, I jammed one in in 1992 when I got it. (Stereo was installed same day)

It is odd the warning light does not come on.

I have another battery. I will jam it in wed as I spent all day getting subaru up to wof spec before selling it

Regards

Glenn

No light at all with an alternator is brushes or a bad connection, almost always but discharging the battery in two weeks would indercate the diode pack needs help or you left something on, ether way you won't know for sure untill you get a charged battary back in and check the voltage when the engine is running.

Before you get deep into the $ pit check the connections, the bullet ones found everywhere in an Anglia but in this case the ones in the engine bay, they often rust inside and because they are hidden by a black plastic cover you never think they are the issue. Untill they are and you spend two days trying to get a park light going.

The Ford alternators from the kent cross flow engines always gave problems even when new.

If I was in your place I would put a late model japa one in and be done with all that english quality electrics stuff.

This is coming from someone who has loved, owned, driven and fixed Classic English cars for the last 35 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi team..

Well I finally got around to charging my battery.. Had to buy a new charger as I lent mine to someone but cannot remember who :(

Battery was happy, car started nice and mantained about 14v while running

I think that she had been sitting too long and maybe the battery just needed some love

Will try a cruise later in the week, round and round the block with the lights on and see what happens.

If it drops.. I will get the diodes checked

Thanks for all the good advice 

Well I did 20 min of hooning with radio cranking and headlights on and heater fan running

She stayed at 13V with all this going (this is everything I could turn on, on)

when they were turned off she went back to 13.9V

I will tentatively call this fixed ?

• Like 1