shortening stock diff in rt104

Matteybean

Hey bro.

Yeah got it shortened in the end

Had it shortened 40 mm each side . Which was the max I could do without modifying spring mounts . the out slip lip lInes up perfectly with my guardS.

Steel surgeon in manukau did it for me .. cheap as chips $350 plus gst . 420 incl I thiNo.

Before.

IMG-1428313332622-V_zpsu5xq09iw.jpg

After

20150418_181049_zps2z5ydte5.jpg

Doesn't look like much but it's 27 mm away from my bump stops n 33 away from side wheel arch plenty of room !

20150418_184001_zpswwwd9cis.jpg

@Johnny I'll post some pictures tomorrow night . The diff was only put in for test fitting yesterday . I've taken it back out got the oil for it today will pull it all apart flush with petrol re asssmble tomorrow night then paint it all before putting in for final time.

The only thing that has changed is the bolts holding the hubs on catch onto the leaf mounts so will need to shorten 4 bolts 6 mm for them to go in (I habe 7 mm hanging out of end after nut tightened so should be perfect

Will update tomorrow. Buying some 2" blocks will chuck in also cheers

He must of resplined I can't see any weld marks ..

Here's some pics dif is back out n apart going to flush it n put back together . repco didn't have any gaskets so I got some gasket paper . Anyone else used these sheets ? Only wanna do it once !

20150420_185753_zpsjjv0f8zc.jpg

20150420_185759_zpsdzln4adp.jpg

20150420_185848_zpsg4ye09jq.jpg

20150420_185853_zps9kjhqyrg.jpg

20150420_185842_zpskx56e8kp.jpg

Here's a pic of before it got shortened only pic I have of it .. you can the extra 40 mm on each end after leaf mounts ! Altho I have another t series in my creme rt104

IMG-1428796802561-V_zpse9hkusfy.jpg

Here's some pics dif is back out n apart going to flush it n put back together . repco didn't have any gaskets so I got some gasket paper . Anyone else used these sheets ? Only wanna do it once !

i have used gasket paper.  Some mechanic insists on holding the paper over the holes he wants to cut and tap the edge carefully with a ball peen hammer.  This effectively marks the paper or even cuts the gasket to fit.  You may not want to try that.

• Like 1

Mattey, seriously - have a look at your axles again and see where he has chopped and blazed them back together again. He's obviously dressed it well or you are not up to play on what to look for. I respline axles for income and I'm telling you - those are not new splines in your pic. New splines cut into hardened axle steel glisten like the sun. Carbide has that effect on induction hardened steel. plus you pay through the nose for most machine work - especially spline cutting. I'm guessing they have been nipped in that shiny bit right by the shrink ring. Usually when an axle has been cut and welded - its done on the thickest part in order to get as much weld in the join as possible. I'm not knocking anything, just interested in this sorta stuff since I muck around whacking them down myself.

• Like 1