bricks dumb and needs electrical advice.

flyingbrick

OK, I have everything major sorted except this damn horn.

It is driving me fuckin mad.

The horn contact pin thing is energized with 12v.

There is nothing obviously fucked in the loom and everything I have done is on plugs and disconnected. There's no horn or anything connected to the loom that could cause this.

My car was missing the horn contact ring thing from behind the steering wheel-i do wonder if they pulled it out for this reason.

Any ideas? Its got me fucked.

There is no horn..the wire that should go to the negative side of the horn is not connected to anything at all.

People use the word "back feed" and it makes no sense to me. I had a think in the shower and decided that I should just cut the wire in the dash (that's live when it shouldn't be)and run my own from column to relay (in engine bay which is set up for negative switching... Once again it was isolated completely during this trouble shooting)

Thanks all

+-------Horn----------Ring ( switch )

+                              ^

Battery                        |

-                              |

-------------------------------|

Yes there should be a relay for the horn. Believe it or not horns actually draw a fair amount of current. the wire you speek of will show +12v through the coil of the relay this dosn't mean its a 12v supply but its at 12v potential due to you measuring 12v through the coil of the relay. earth it out and it will be at 0v potential and complete the circuit for the relay bringing the contacts in etc.

Have you used a pair of jumper cables to make sure the horn it's self is good?

As mentioned above horns require quite a big amount of power to make them go, a 12 volt live wire does have 12 volt but my not have the amps to get the horn to go.

An easy check is to put a head light bulb into that circuit, if it lights up all is well but if you get a week light you don't have enough power to get the horn going.

Normal wiring for a horn in it's simplest form goes like this.

+ battery terminal to horn, other wire on the horn to the switch, switch to earth (- terminal battery).

If your horn button is in the middle of the steering wheel, most are. Check the earth for the column it may be broken or not connected at all if it's been out in the recent past.

The thing is..this wire should be open both ends. Its not connected to horn and there's no damn wheel there with contact ring.

I did notice in photos last that there is a few non factory crimp connection there in loom that I didn't notice for some reason..I wonder if someone's just fucked up bigtime during some diy.

Iv just cut the wire at base of column and made my own that isn't hot..it works now as it should ( earthing the contact pin behind wheel now closes horn relay)and isn't so confusing.

That's for the help...but fucked if I know

Edit.

Well yes there's a horn relay! Iv added a new one up the front so my bypass has worked well.

Little fucker was well hidden

OK, title changed so I don't have to start another thread.

I have just crimped up the battery cable from alternator. I now have to deal with the two pin socket and have found this easy diagram.

DelcoSI2wiring-small.jpg

I'm sure I have read that the num2 wire should go right back to the positive battery terminal. Is this correct or can it be wired as per the drawing, just looped down to the alternator batt stud?

Additionally, the number 1 pin is charge indicator lamp AND is +12v while running and earthed when not, so the lamp is switched negative (sorry if not correct terminology).

I wish to use an LED like my other indicator lamps. Will the diode effect of the led and low current draw be a problem?

Again, I'm sure I have heard people having issues with this so want to get it right