How do I know what will fit into my car? (transmissions specifically)

fengqiu

Hi everybody

Pretty new to restoring a car, have only really done basic stuff like drive belt changes, oil changes etc basic maintenance and fixes for broken things. That was on my 1994 sentra. but now i got a 79 lancer and I want to swap out the transmission in it. how do I know what will fit into it?

Cheers!!

Adam

Hi everybody

Pretty new to restoring a car, have only really done basic stuff like drive belt changes, oil changes etc basic maintenance and fixes for broken things. That was on my 1994 sentra. but now i got a 79 lancer and I want to swap out the transmission in it. how do I know what will fit into it?

Cheers!!

Adam

First and foremost, identify what is currently in your car.

Nothing more frustrating from the point of view of a potential helper than having to ask question after question to determine what you have in there to begin with. The more information the better, photos are also very helpful.

This will mean that people can make some informed suggestions. Otherwise you'll get answers about as informative as your initial question.

Is it a 1200cc or 1600cc (or 2 litre) engine? Why do you want to change the gearbox (assuming it's manual)? What do you want from the new transmission (extra gear, better ratios, current one is stuffed etc)?

• Like 2

thanks for the feedback everybody!

Very much appreciated. I am going to rip into it soon and I'll be able to get some info 

but that's a good idea, i'll just get another one of the current one. 

The reason I want to change is that 3rd gear is getting really noisy, do you guys think i should just get it rebuilt or change it all together?

Cheers