AE85 Panhard rod setup help

1Gesus

The ae85 panhard diff mount needs to be welded to the hilux diff. I will need to modify the mount (not much) to clear to the bigger diff center.

What is the best angle for the bar to be on or should it be ideally be horizontal?

The car will probably be quite low so i was thinking if im going to modify it, I could space the mounting point down on the diff to have the bar horizontal when lowered.

Or go to the next level and make multiple mounting points at different heights...

Am I on the right track?

20141217_180144_zps4cc49f38.jpg

20141217_180104_zps3b5d140d.jpg

roll center through the center line of the diff is your roll center .i have had 1 that is adjustable ,but its easier to play around with springs on the back

if you lower the roll center at the back you need to do it at both ends .

all this does when you lower it will make the back springs softer and make the car squat in take off

but it will also make the car lift the rear wheels as well ,if the front springs are harder

the faster you go through the corners with a low roll center will make the car lean more

i ended up going back to the std roll center  height to stop the rear from leaning over now with 235 lbs at rear and have 350 lbs in the front .this has made it sit flat going through turn 1 at the island

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

if you lower the roll center at the back you need to do it at both ends .

all this does when you lower it will make the back springs softer and make the car squat in take off

I don't quite see how making the bar flat at a certain height will make the springs softer..

Anyway, got more serious issues. This diff isn't right. Who has a jig for ae85/6 rear diff mounts? Or who in nz is  a pro at doing hilux diff into ae85 conversion? 

I need to get it checked and fixed.

The lower rear shock mount is on a big angle and more so on one side. Which is the same mount that connects to the trailing arm

DSCF1125_zpsxxt9ofhv.jpg

Other side

DSCF1131_zpstusizp3f.jpg

new shock wouldn't go on if i tried

20150304_174019_zpslwsas4a5.jpg

What is you pinion angle like? If the whole axle is tilted back like that you will have bigger problems. If it is just the shock mounts then they can be cut off/rewelded to get them straight.

Regarding the panhard rod, it should be level at ride height so the side-to-side movement is minimised. Moving the whole thing up and down will change the roll centre.

is that whole mount on the piss.  or is the shock mount just bent?

if you are good at measuring should be able to sort out whats wrong.   the ones ive done i just measure up all the mounts.  cbf with jigs, plus the factory stuff sometimes isn't that accurate anyway.   check the diff case isn't bent also,  you don't want to end up with a case with toe out or positive camber

It's just a pin for the shock, it can be removed and rewelded fairly easily if that is what's needed, without changing the whole mount.

I suggest you get out a tape measure and level/protractor and work out if it is OK otherwise (centered/straight and pinion angle the same as the engine).

Another option would be making the top links adjustable to change the angle of things.

• Like 1

yea seems like it is welded on wrong. but if it was way out it would be hard to bolt the link to it, assuming the other mounts are in the correct position. But the diff goes in pretty easy.

I'm trying to line up another standard diff to compare against. probably a ke70 one. pretty sure there the same