Power steering/Alternator etc belt tension accuracy: How critical?

Banter

I know this is a fairy mundane question, but how critical is accurate (i.e. to manufacturer's specs)  belt tension for items like power steering, ac or alternator belts?

I only ask cause I've been asked to sort one out on someone else's car. I've done my own cars in the past by using a straight edge and pushing the belt to make sure the deflection seems reasonable. I've never had any trouble, but since its not my car I want to be a bit more sure.

Thanks,

Andrew 

Its not that critical. As long as its not slipping you will be fine.

I have set up hundreds of belts on machines using various machines (the flashest being an SKF optical frequency type tool.. You find desired frequency using a chart then slap belts so the tool can read resulting tone)

What I have found is that 99% of people set v belts much too loose- including myself- and still rarely have issues

So don't be worried about it being too tight

That^ usually its about 13mm of deflection on most vehicles. as a rule of thumb if the top edge of the V is below the top of the v in the pulley then its worn. Also as Flying brick said , if they bottom out on the pulley they are useless.

To the above about people leaving them too tight , ive also seen people rark the bejesus out of them and end up destroying bearing from too much load but that could be a egg and chicken debate.

Preset tensioners and ribbed belts are the bomb.

• Like 1