Rear coil overs.

SOHC

quiz someone who has similar set-up to get spring rate.

i know there's plenty of variables, but anyone using that rear end will utilise very similar mounting points and will have a similar loading on it.

once you have an idea on the spring, either hunt for used ones or go to a speedway supply, as they are usually a lot cheaper than performance/ricer suply.

Yer I was looking on trademe at springs and there was a speedway shop with a few.

I will ask around a bit tommrow. I think it needs to be double if they are jag items I have

I will ask around a bit tommrow. I think it needs to be double if they are jag items I have

if the Jag run 2 of these units on each corner, then you will need to be double the spring rate.

take a spring off,  and take it to a decent suspension shop as they should have a jig for measuring the rate of the spring then almost double it.

i would be heading to an olschool suspension/alignment place preferably that has either hotrods/race or speedway cars lurking, then they may actually know what they are talking about......... instead of some zitty faced fucker who uses NZPC mag as a reference manual.

• Like 1

A few things.

Those rear ends are bloody common so SOMEBODY will sell off the shelf parts.

Your cert fulla sounds like a butthead. Have a chat to Cletus about using twin shocks. If they have half the springrate because expected use is in pairs then it is easy to assume that shock valving is also halved to suit...(so buttheads reason for rejection is irrelevant)

If you now fit springs twice as stuff you might have half the shock valving you require.

It may be smart to throw whatever bodywork into place before weighing and sorting springs?

• Like 1

Your best be is to do this properly, guessing and making things up will only end in tears.

Weigh a corner of your car; I assume it will be sub 1000kg? if so then 2 bathroom scales and a plank of wood between them will enable you to weigh up to 300kg which will be heaps but remember to keep the car level.

Then use a spring rate calculator to change the wheel rate into spring rate, this is most important as your pivot points and shock angle will play a big part.

Then you can buy the right spring, and you will probably find you can get away with the stock shock, but it would be best to get shocks that suit the new spring, I understand that you are probably on a budget, but I am just making sure you understand the correct way to do it so you are informed.

Cool thanks guys for the help, I managed to find a makers name on the shocks, they are Monroe gas shocks, I might just replace them with better coil overs as I don't think springs are available for the shocks I have as the ID is 71mm witch is a bum size.