Ben's Motorized Mobility Scooter

Benno

So I've got a bit of a project to keep me busy. Essentially I got a free stuffed mobility scooter from a mate who didn't want it anymore. The whole electrical system on it was stuffed, beyond easy/economical repair. So after that had sat in my back yard for a while I was offered a stupid pit bike chopper thing which hadn't run in years for a box of woodstocks. I obviously was happy to acquire it. The plan now is to merge the two together, ending up something like this:

After a fair bit of stuffing around with the pit bike engine, including replacing coil, cdi, sparkplug and re-wiring the whole thing I finally got it going. Carb is pretty stuffed, choke seems to be permanently on but it seems to go ok at least, shouldn't be too difficult to fix. Have got some steel to make up some mounts with the plan of mounting the engine under the seat area. Will need to sort out some sort of brake system and way to attach a sprocket to an axle. Will probably get a mate to mill something up for the sprocket. Any suggestions for a decent/cheap braking system?

oKmTbcd.jpgoVZ41qK.jpg

• Like 4

VG that is BADASS.

Ben can't you just use whole front brake assembly off the chopper?

Edit.

I have often thought it would be cool to do a grunt electric setup on one so its completely stealth

Brake assembly off the chopper is missing unfortunately. There is still a disc, but no caliper, hydraulic line or reservoir. Thinking I will get a generic pit bike unit though.

If that's the one with 2 electric motors on it, can I grab them off you? I have 2 already but would like more/spares. Will swap for some beers or something?

Sorry, it only had one electric motor which has already gone to the tip.

Yeah, that's the current thoughts, should be enough to stop it. Not entirely sure actually, engine has no markings or anything on it and have not ridden it. Person I got it off thought it was 160cc, but having my doubts about that, he didn't seem to know much about it. Any way to tell with these chinese engines? No markings or serial number I can easily see on it

• 2 weeks later...

So I have made a bit of progress on this lately. Modified the frame and cover a bit to accommodate the engine, then made up some engine mounts. Just need to get these welded in at some point.

WiKpgp4.jpg

After seeing some inspiration from Vintage Grumble above, I got quite keen on the idea of some go kart wheels on it. After talking to my mate Hogan (427carguy) it turned out that he had some spares I could borrow. Fitted the front almost perfectly, just needed a tiny bit of spacing with some washers to fit. Need to get some hubs and axle for the rear still. Pretty damn happy with how it looks though!

nsWyKnS.jpg

• Like 9