Pre Turbo water/meth injection

sluggy

Haven't  had any experience with pre turbo.    have run port water injection.   

imo, you are better off to run a flex fuel sensor,   get it tuned for e10/e85.

only appeal to seperate  water/meth injection, is  you use less of the expensive stuff.  but is also one more thing to go wrong. if engine is tuned to make the most of it. it'l be detonating with it switched off.  so if it does fail for any reason, bad stuff is going to happen.   i know there is fail safes on some systems, but i'd still be keeping to the one fuel system

Good point, flex fuel sensor is a good idea, I know the Green bros use it in their wagon running 98 they make over 700hp out of a mild port 13b. I'll give them a yell, it is a purely mechanical system, no pump in it to fail, from what I can see it uses the pressure side to force the liquid through the nozzle. More research required from me, just taking the lazy route

FYI, there's a guy in Howick selling E100, around $1.90 a litre ($1.70 if you buy a 205litre) mix at a ratio of 85% ethanol, 15% 98 octane petrol, and you have e85 :) This ethanol already has corrosion inhibator added, and I know of 3 guys with big budget/fuel burners that are using it with no issues

I think they are talking it up a little bit much, but they are right in that it can work very well. key being that the spray is super atomised - hence air atomising nozzles work well, otherwise you need very high pressures.

I'm not sure it makes the compressor more efficient though, at least not in a large order. the denser charge will help but you have to remember that the energy is going into the charge and is vapourising the water and methanol rather than raising the air temperature which he doesn't seem to account for (at least as far as I have read the thread).

if you inject before the turbo then intercool after there would be some worry that the intercooler could potentially fill up with water/methanol partially under some conditions - but I guess maybe unlikely if you are only injecting under heavy loads.

and yeah if you don't atomise enough it will chew up the compressor wheel. Another reason to use an aliexpress GT45 wonder turbo?

• Like 1