Bangas 67 Mk2 Cortina

Banga

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Agreed you should change clutch to a higher HP rated unit, but I'd also be checking both the clutch master-cylinder rod and slave cylinder rod to ensure they both had a little clearance as it's possible your clutch fluid is heating up, expanding slightly, and putting a little pressure onto the release bearing

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Unclejake said:

Agreed you should change clutch to a higher HP rated unit, but I'd also be checking both the clutch master-cylinder rod and slave cylinder rod to ensure they both had a little clearance as it's possible your clutch fluid is heating up, expanding slightly, and putting a little pressure onto the release bearing

Will double check when I throw it back together, running a hydraulic release bearing so no slave cylinder rod to check. Thanks!

A hydraulic release bearing over the output shaft nose (such as a Quartermaster?).

If so I ran one on my Mk1 Cortina racecar and IIRC the shimming was critical to keep the correct distance from the pressure plate.

You're looking at it in real life and I'm not.... so treat my advice with a sack of salt. Nice project. Well done sir.

It’s a bolt in place job specifically for this set up- no room to shim and it’s been fine for about 3000kms, I think you might be onto something with the master cylinder though - I swapped over a brake master in my pedal box and might not have have set the clutch master back to exactly where it was in the clevis when I put it all back together. 

It was only slipping in 3rd under high load/torque when hot so fluid expanding could be right on the money.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Loving the presentation on this mate! I was sitting at The Cabbage Tree having a coffee in Tirau when you parked up on Saturday - I was going to wander over and ask if you were an Oldschooler, but the Barry brigade had wandered over to you and started yarning so I left you to it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Alfashark said:

Loving the presentation on this mate! I was sitting at The Cabbage Tree having a coffee in Tirau when you parked up on Saturday - I was going to wander over and ask if you were an Oldschooler, but the Barry brigade had wandered over to you and started yarning so I left you to it.

Thanks! Yeah seems to attract a few yarns - it’s a 50/50 split as to whether modern engine etc is cool or sacrilege.

4 hours ago, Tiger Tamer said:

I didn't see your car in Napier on the weekend, but I did see a very nice Red Mk1 Cortina down in the Esk valley on Sunday morning. A rare sight indeed now.

Quite possible he was with  the Cortina club, a red Mk1  left a bit earlier than the rest of us.

This was on the way to Napier on Saturday morning, the other green mk2 has a 2.3 duratec in it and the white mk1 has a super charged 302-.

IMG_0389.jpeg

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, Banga said:

Thanks! Yeah seems to attract a few yarns - it’s a 50/50 split as to whether modern engine etc is cool or sacrilege.

Not knowing about what was under the bonnet, I wouldn't have picked such a modern transplant - When you spun around to catch up with that gaggle of Mk1s, it sounded just like a healthy, period-modded engine. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

How's that magnesium cam cover holding up to scuffing and repainting? I have an older engine with magnesium castings and was told they would continue corroding even after painting unless re-passivated.

On 01/04/2024 at 13:00, rossnzwpi said:

How's that magnesium cam cover holding up to scuffing and repainting? I have an older engine with magnesium castings and was told they would continue corroding even after painting unless re-passivated.

So far so good, the cam covers on ST170s are notorious for the paint falling off. Suspect I’ll need to redo it in the future.