4AGE Fuel setup

BattleSnayke

I have 2 questions about the fuel set up in my AE70.

I'm doing a motor swap from carb 3AU to 20v 4AGE.

What is the easiest/cheapest/best way to do the fuel? Can I just put a high pressure pump into the carb tank or would I be better to just but a new fuel cell, surge tank, lift pump and external?

If I was to do the fuel cell etc in the boot, what else would be involved? Would I need to seal the boot off from the rest of the car or is the rear seats enough?

You will be pushing shit uphill with a carby tank and an intank pump if you want to do some spirited driving.

A 4age isn't going to stress any of the fuel parts so I would go with aliexpress stuff. If nothing else the surge tanks are amazing value.

Have a look in Simon's corona coupe thread. Add baffles to factory tank as well as a bug ass in tank pump. If you got skills/hookups it'll be cheap and quiet. External pumps be noisy as fuck.

I think surge tanks look dumb and if I couldn't hide it under the car I'd be doing the add baffles thing.

• Like 1

a carb tank being a standard fuel tank which was used on a carbureted car and did not have a pump fitted inside it?

you can run an intank pump, you just need access to it via a seal-able port of some kind. And it also needs to be in a place where it can be more or less guaranteed fuel all the way until the tank is empty including hooning the car around a race track etc which is why the guys are talking about fitting baffles

What would happen if I was to run a intank pump on the factory carb tank? What's the difference in pick ups between a lift pump and a high pressure pump etc?

The fuel sloshes around the tank and away from the pickup / your pump will eat air. 

On a carb it doesn't matter as the float bowl essentially acts as a surge tank, but on a high pressure EFI system if you lose fuel pressure for a moment you can fuck your engine pretty quick.

• Like 1

a carb tank being a standard fuel tank which was used on a carbureted car and did not have a pump fitted inside it?

you can run an intank pump, you just need access to it via a seal-able port of some kind. And it also needs to be in a place where it can be more or less guaranteed fuel all the way until the tank is empty including hooning the car around a race track etc which is why the guys are talking about fitting baffles

Pete go to pick a part and steal a decent in tank setup, on my 85 I used one from a 2JZ mark II I think, weld the whole bolt in pump mount and pickup into the top of the tank. Had to adjust the lengths of the pipe and mount to suit the shallower tank. Think this is pretty much what simon has done on his Corona?

I would go this way everytime, so nice and quiet and a bunch less wires and hose clamps. Still nothing wrong with going the surge tank route, some OS factory tanks will be a real pain to adapt a in tank to.

And Cars that are EFI stock usually have baffled tanks, carb tanks have no baffles, so when you put an intank pump in them surge is a pretty big issue.

Like I said, look at aliexpress and see how much bother you have, I know for the price of a lift pump and surge tank I sure as shit won't be cutting up a fuel tank to try and fit baffles and an intank pump.