Welding VS brazing

MKD

im needing to weld/braze a few things soon, but ive never learnt to weld...

I can braze with OA, but im wondering if anyone has had any experience with silver soldered joints?

google + youtube shows a few vids with SSF6 silver solder and I hear its pretty strong.

im going to be welding/brazing a few bits & pieces on a motorbike/scooter so loads shouldn't be too high on the joints.

and...does anyone know if you can silver solder braze with butane? or whats the best/cheapest/easiest gas to get hold of?

cheers

braze is actually stronger then welding, because it doesn't change the metals molecular structure , it puts less stress in the joint and far les heat which all helps to keep as minimal stress in the joint as possible . . it wont crack as easily and generally is a very good repair, but have to remember you cant weld on top on braze so if you need to do serious repair later on then it can become an issue, I like to braze most things but the down side is I don't have a OA at home so I end up mig/tig welding everything .  braze is insanely strong in the right circumstances

what are you thnking of doing ? got any pictures of your intended repairs/modifications  

• Like 1

You can silver solder (it's really just brazing with a different filler)* with butane if the part is small enough, it's what jewelers use. Otherwise look at oxy-propane or compressed air-propane as a slightly cheaper than OA. Not sure why you would silver braze over regular though? If you are only working with steel anyway. I prefer to weld most things as then you don't have to be so fussy about getting nice fits.

*you can get electrical solder with a silver content, pretty much works like higher temp lead-free solder, but I'm presuming we are talking about silver brazing here.

At my old work we built alot of motorcycle frames, they were always brazed, the frames with cast lugs that we repaired were silver soldered (easyflow) its strong as hell, I easyflowed the hex nuts on to my cylinder head through bolts on my BSA, they haven't failed yet. you do need to make sure the parts are very clean.

I use oxyacetylene I have an old acetylene producer, only have to fill my oxy cylinder

Ok cool, so its strong enough for sure. Looking at making some custom hardtail struts for a fr50 suzuki, most likely from bit and pieces round the shop. Brass to steel and steel/brass to chrome vanaduim? Should work hopefully. Just dont have access to OA otherwise id probably use that.

So you reckon a propane torch like a plumbers benzomatic etc or butane would work? Ill Just try it i guess, see what happens

Ok cool, so its strong enough for sure. Looking at making some custom hardtail struts for a fr50 suzuki, most likely from bit and pieces round the shop. Brass to steel and steel/brass to chrome vanaduim? Should work hopefully. Just dont have access to OA otherwise id probably use that.

So you reckon a propane torch like a plumbers benzomatic etc or butane would work? Ill Just try it i guess, see what happens

I don't think you would get a cet if your frame is half welded and brazed, its only bikes that were produced from fractory with brazed frames that will pass.

1.6mm Chromoly, or 3.2mm mild steel for cert.

Every thing will be cool then, you could use the legs off an old chair

but, if youre worried, the chromoly will be about 6-8mm and the mild steel around 6mm. far beefier than the stock pressed sheetmetal framed original.

I do have some nice chairlegs around though, good suggestion =P

I've used silver solder to repair pipework and join dissimilar shit together and its always the metal around it that deforms later. I usually use a small benz-o-matic torch with yellow gas cylinder, MAP. Blue works too but we have MAP at work most of the time. Works mint just gotta remember where you want the heat. Somtimes I braze shit but usually can't be fucked getting oa out when silver solder is so easy.

But I am not a plumber so I could be doing this wrong.