steelies' box house

Steelies

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i've built it as a normal house, not temporary. ie standard building code applies. all my cars are non-legit, wanted the house to be legit.

council dont care what anyone thinks, they need it in writing with numbers or gtfo

yup 'tried and true' seems to be the only way on a budget, if you dont have necessary skills for doing all that jazz yourself

roof is pretty much a carport, braced to the box.

yep lawrence it's in a high wind zone, roof will take off. it's entirely open, just a roof on sticks

what cubastreet said, 'chuck a container on a bit of land, bobs your uncle' is somewhat fanciful, in the city at least

Why do you need to brace it back to the container? High wind zone isnt that bad, most places these days are made to a High wind zone

Picture number 14 is directly opp manu's. and most the rest at the end of his road/uncleJakes. i also live in Brooklyn and i sometimes wonder how my house is still standing.  

http://www.smh.com.au/photogallery/world/storm-batters-wellington-20130621-2ommh.html

Even so, can't a simple wooden structure, with appropriately sized joists and rafters (to deal with the span) and suitable fasteners/windstraps (to deal with the wind lift) be used in lieu of bracing to the container itself.

Not saying this will be less work, as would likely required a few posts (if you dont have them already) at centres to get appropriate spans. 

Wind straps and proper fastening of the roof to purlins/rafters/whatever the detail is should see it no different to any carport/veranda.

/Just jump on the top of container and bare some metal weld brace tags on and spray paint it red oxide primer

Oh. Yeah, that would make sense. Im my head it stopped at the container rather than carrying over. Which is silly.

Having it just sort of stand over the top without being connected does seem odd though. Like the house has sort of been parked inside another structure. If you attach them they become a single structure with two elements, rather than separate entities.

Brain likes that better.

/I might be a little strange. Just go with it.

I like KK's idea because at the end of the day it looks like welding is going to be the only option. Damn pen pushers! If you weld to the corners there's a huge amount of heat sinking. Plus you could always weld it as a series of tacks or stitches, like you would on a piece of sheet steel to reduce warping. Cool it down after each stitch or something?

• Like 1

yep, i'd like to avoid welding but when it comes down to it whatever gets me a place to live the quickest will happen. up side is i have the brackets pre-painted and there should be a tin of touch-up paint somewhere with the container.

in which case heat sinking, cooling etc will all come into play.

/point and shoot metal hot glue

yes it was the architect/engineers problem, which they solved. 'weld some shit on it'. they dont know about container transport requirements though, hence the situation.

steve you mean front and rear as in the ends of the container? or front and rear of the house, as in front has doors, rear to bank?