Wanted to borrow, spring compressors? Also, how to use them? Lol

wannabe

Hey team, been looking at lowering the Crown and would like to do it safely, and I found this nifty tool whenever I looked at guides for doing truck springs in the US. I did one side, but not really keen on doing the other side the way we did it last (jack+misc hori style)

27035.jpg

How does one use this tool? As I am not sure how it would fit into the spring hole?

I found this article, but it doesn't show how he got the spring compressor in/out of the spring housing?

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/chassis/suspension_steering/sucp_0806w_coil_spring_installation/ Does anyone have one that I could borrow, and is anyone able to teach me how to use this? Cheers all :) Will love you long time for help/advice.

Heya beav, I have 2 sets of those, the main problem being that they dont fit into the housing in the chassis for the springs while attached.

Ie, won't fit in the hole. And the upper arm etc are in the way to get any decent force on it.

From what I can gather, the compressor I posted above would need to be disassembled inside the spring before dropping it out of the shock hole in the lower arm? /separate chassis car noob haha.

Yeah I have those as well. The biggest issue for me is trying to get the standard springs out as they are ridiculously large on the crown. Which is why I had a look at truck spring removal, and the tool in my OP was consistently used across.

I wish I could fit those compressors into the spring housing along with the spring, but sadly it's too tight.

Its not as if the spring can fly out and get you, the method for these is jack the car up and pull out the shock, put the jack under the lower arm but not supporting any weight. Next get the biggest hammer you can lift and break the lower ball joint, this will put the lower control arm on the jack which you can now lower slowly and release the spring. You have to jack these up fucking high as the springs are real long. Getting a full length stock spring in is more dramatic than taking it out.

If you are still scared you can make a tool out of threaded rod, make a footing that bolts to the shock mounts and weld this to the threaded rod. The rod goes up through the stock shock location and has a plate and a nut so you can wind the lower arm down. Still rather do it on the jack.

• Like 3

So if I got the balljoint out, and just jacked the car as high as it can go, the spring won't shoot out? It looks like the spring is a bit bent under pressure atm, so we haven't taken it any further for fear of it shooting out and killing us....

Its kind of curved atm as it releases the tension and we dont want it to shoot out, hence not doing anything to it yet...

What? do what I said? do you have the lower control arm sitting on the ground or something? the spring sits in there in a arc yes but there is no physical way is can fly out if you release it slowly on the jack it is held in by the spring cup and it will stay in the lower arm until its waayyy down.