wastegate actuator upgrade?

ep82-toy-let

hello again, after some help. ive been doing a bit of research on actuators, im trying to find out if replacing my actuator with a new one I have, (guy who sold it to me said it was a 10psi one) will make my boost a bit higher, as I lost 3 pounds after putting a fmi on the car. the ne w actuator has a adjustable arm on it also, as the factory one doesn't. any help will be awesome as im a bit new to upgrading turbo engines, but hey gotta start somewere.... its on a ep82 Toyota starlet

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If your wastegate pressure signal is coming from the inlet manifold, after the intercooler, there is no reason you should see a reduction in boost from fitting the intercooler. Are you sure its not coming directly off the turbo compressor cover? That would explain things.

If your wastegate pressure signal is coming from the inlet manifold, after the intercooler, there is no reason you should see a reduction in boost from fitting the intercooler. Are you sure its not coming directly off the turbo compressor cover? That would explain things.

I will have to have a look, what exactly would I be looking for? any tips are great, google doesn't tellme what I need to know, it it the small pipe coming from the actuator? because if that's it, it goes from the actuator and disappears down behind it and looks to go to the turbo somewere but I cant see exactly were it connects

If you want to get your 3 psi back then yes, your turbo will be working harder to make the "same" amount of boost (read at the gauge) though. I'm assuming your boost gauge is after the intercooler, the way you are set up now if you had a boost gauge before the intercooler you would probably see 10psi, but you are only seeing 7psi at the manifold. If you move the wastegate line to the manifold the manifold pressure should go back up to 10psi but your turbo will be making ~13psi before the intercooler.

I'm tired but something like that!

If you want to get your 3 psi back then yes, your turbo will be working harder to make the "same" amount of boost (read at the gauge) though. I'm assuming your boost gauge is after the intercooler, the way you are set up now if you had a boost gauge before the intercooler you would probably see 10psi, but you are only seeing 7psi at the manifold. If you move the wastegate line to the manifold the manifold pressure should go back up to 10psi but your turbo will be making ~13psi before the intercooler.

I'm tired but something like that!

ok sweet ill give it a try, thanks for all the help I learned a lot, cheers

• Like 1

it'll just piss air out there. you'll need to block it though for sure.

could get away with a short length of hose with a suitably sized bolt clamped into the end :)

mint, you guys are life savers, ive been googling this shit for ages with no luck, this will save me a bit off coin at the mechs. cheers