non detergent oil

SOHC

Where would one obtain a non detergent monograde engine oil now days for old sidevalve engines in cars that have have no oil filtration systems, and have a sludge build up?  someone recommended briggs and stratton oil but I think thats more for air coold lawnmoer motors, 

I have droped the sump and scooped all the thick black shit out, I have an oil filter on this car but its not a full flow filter, it just bleeds off a very small amount of oil and that goes thrugh the filter and back to the sump.

Would B&S oil be ok to use in a car? its a side vlave v8 

I hope it had ZDDP aswell

it soaks into the engine components after 60 years

i would say theb&s oil is fine, perhaps more expensive than an oil brand brand...

Also there is no real reason you cant run a modern oil, technology has come a long way since the 40s

it soaks into the engine components after 60 years

i would say theb&s oil is fine, perhaps more expensive than an oil brand brand...

Also there is no real reason you cant run a modern oil, technology has come a long way since the 40s

The problem this engine has a bit of crap in it, I was worryed about it all coming loose, I did clean as much out as possable. fuchs do an oil for lawnmowers witch is about $19 for 4 leters.

The 2nd motor I am putting togeather I will run modern oil as it will have a full flow filter and everything in new and clean,

• 2 weeks later...

yeh go lawnmower shop. ghp or whatever is the same as fuchs but cheaper. Fuchs is all g.

aviation oil is ashless dispersant spec. Its cleans like fancy detergent  but without the embers/ash left behind. Duno if that's what you want. I don't think so cos its made to be used with a filter. It takes the ash and shit away from combustion chamber so no preignition which is bad for planes. Dunno if you want that shit floating around in the oil if you have no filter