bike carb manifold design

BlownCorona

Vac advance chucks in a bunch of timing under cruise speeds (so high vac) its awesome and can save lots of gas. Once you go to individual runners and carbs/butterflies you are going to have different vacuum characteristics and the stock setup may work like poos. Sometimes a aftermarket (or modded) dizzy can be used on cars with a lower vacuum signal to still give some vac advance. Oh and if you have way too much base timing the vac advance is going to dial in wayyy to much advance at cruise speeds and it will shudder and lurch. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

filter housing it is.

oh yeah, so my slides dont seem to pop back down very crisp or quick manner when i move em up by fingers, it's like they jam slightly when they reach the top. they eventually come down and bottom 3/4 of travel is fine.

it seems like more of an issue with the diaphragms (which were freakin tricky to reinstall) than a matter of slide friction etc. the spare set i have return a bit better.

could i have got a set of carbs with incorrect diaphragms in them? they sat in the groove fine once i fucked around enough but wondering if i'm already up shit creek..

is there a way to test if the diaphragms are sealed correctly? i got as far as sucking and blowing gently in the little opening beside the throat, which moves the slides quite responsively.

these are what i have, minus the kink and the scum

$T2eC16JHJHYE9nzpcwS3BQyNphswDQ~~60_35.J

honda-carb-set-cbr1000.jpg

I have fittings in the runners for vacuum, all I use it for is vacuum advance. 

you might be able to take vacuum from the carbs but you should check to see what side of the throttle plates the signal is coming from, if it is upstream on the throttles then it will never get vacuum in our setups (normally these would be in an airbox and get some vacuum). If it is downstream of the throttles then you should be able to use the vacuum in theory. Also, if you want to take a vac line from the carbs, make sure it is vacuum and not fuel bowl overflow

vac advance is used at motorway speeds to lean out under no throttle, ie is used for saving gas. I have mine hooked into all 4 runners and the vacuum diaphragm pulses at idle. If I fitted a vacuum chamber as seen in your pic then I would imagine the problem would go away

If you want to use vacuum for a brake booster, just make sure that you have a check valve fitted in line so that vacuum is accumulated and wont drop at full throttle

thats what I said above ned, In my case I dont have a collector fitted but the vac advance works properly just past no throttle so I havent been bothered to change it

also, yeah if there is a check valve fitted as normal then you should be fine, maybe just check its still working. I dont know much about where/how they are fitted normally and whether its different between manufacturers

• 5 months later...

Ideally you would want a common link between the runners and hook up a PCV properly. A bit of crud in the intake is worth it for the benefits of crankcase breathing IMO. But if the motor is a heavy breather and the PCV cant keep up then catch can it, I guess 99% of setups here have done that?

• Like 1