Alarm remote replacement??

RUNAMUCK

I bought a new modern(ish) daily just after nats. The guy was almost giving it away.

Anyway, the factory alarm could really do with a new remote. However, one isn't available.

What's around in terms of aftermarket remotes?

There's actually a few bucks worth of parts on this car (Far far far more than what I paid for it) so it'd be nice for it to not get stolen.

Dealer will probably be able to supply something but be prepared for an outrageous price.

You can normally find blank ones on yahoo, ebay or similar. Then you get the key cut and have to program it with a random set of actions like opening the driver door, turning the key off and on 3 times, pushing the button, etc etc.

Might be able to find the programming instructions on Google.

That's for a factory alarm anyway.

I see. Haven't really seen anything like that. If it was easy to replicate an alarm remote then what would be the point.

Another option may just be to put a new aftermarket alarm in? They are pretty cheap these days.

Could even put a 5 star in with verified installer and see if your insurance company will decrease the premiums. Might pay itself off if you keep the car for a while.

That 5 star thing is a crock.

I came across a forum where a pro said that 5star approved alarms were all shit. and that alarms were better didn't have 5 star acreditation because the agents for them hadn't paid off the body which did said acreditation.

Sounds like a code alarm (rectangular remote with two square buttons?), do a bit of googling. They're still around, overseas, but they stopped selling in NZ in the early 2000's. there are suppliers in the states that can supply, just I think it can be a bit tricky identifying which one is for your car. I assume it's a nz new Bluebird? Otherwise disregard all of the above.

prolly the same alarm they installed at Wiri in my former '96 maxima.  they crap out. 

I had an installer remove the old alarm and install a dynatron something 4.5 or 5 star.  took them some shagging around to interface with the door circuit, something to do with the old alarm.