Trailer/Vehicle Lights - Wiring help?

spiderwebfx

Hey all,

I've got a problem with one of our work trailers and I can't for the life of me figure out the problem.

It is a lighting issue, and everything works fine until the brakes are applied.

Left indicator does left, right indicator does right, taillights work.

When the brakes are applied, the light up every bulb! If they're applied when the right indicator is on, the right indicator stops and left side blinks and vice versa. The indicators also make the taillight bulbs dim when on.

I checked the wires with a volt meter and I think the problem is the ute not the trailer. When the brakes are applied, I get a voltage reading between the brake wire and all other wires. Everything else is fine. Makes me think that the wires are crossing over somewhere but I don't know where. All the lights on the ute work fine.

Has anyone got any thoughts?

Brake light powerwire shorted to chassis,

Would this 'cause the brakes on the ute to work funny? I've checked the brake wires back to where it joins the main vehicle loom and there is no problems with it there. Trying to decide the next place to look. I.e. rear brake lights, just follow the loom or?

definately an earth problem, all your lights will be earthing through the stop bulb filaments then when the brake bulbs are powered up everything will go funny trying to find a path to earth. id say either there is no earth in your plug on the vehicle or its not getting through the plug or the wires broken somewhere. earth is the middle pin if its a rectangle plug

So the wiring at the plug on the ute is giving the problem with nothing connected?

I guess next is the pull the lights and check them to be fine / the wiring loom to the lights also.

I'm pretty sure it is the ute. Like I said, with the trailer not plugged in. I've tested the brake wire on the plug with every other wire (including the ground) and it has current. I pulled the rear lights and inspected them and there appears to be nothing wrong with them or the wires.

definately an earth problem, all your lights will be earthing through the stop bulb filaments then when the brake bulbs are powered up everything will go funny trying to find a path to earth. id say either there is no earth in your plug on the vehicle or its not getting through the plug or the wires broken somewhere. earth is the middle pin if its a rectangle plug

Plug definitely has the earth. I've checked that, and replaced the earth wire from the plug to where it joins the chassis loom.

Where I'm at now is actually pulling the chassis loom apart and inspecting the brake wires in there.

if ya lights on the ute are going properly then the trailer plug should be right also unless its wired up wrong.

also have ya made sure the pins on the trailers plug arent squashed together? doesn't take much some times. stick a knife blade between them and spread them apart a little.

failing all that pull the lens off one of your trailer lights, get a piece of wire and touch one end to the earth bit in the light and the other end to some metal of the trailer. if the problem goes away then youll just need to sus out where its losing the earth. do the same in the trailer plug even