BlownCorona

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...

So as many of you may know, 

i completly rebuilt this bike as per the previos posts, and it looked excellent, however the first ride, i had major engine faults, and for the last year or so i have been trying to fix this, but general lack of parts availible, and a massive underlieing design flaw in the head has seen me waste way too much money on it. so ive pulled the pin on the honda cb50 as we see it above. 

now i have an 80s suzuki ax100, which has a frame almost identicle to the cb50, which i will be swapping all of the custom parts onto. this will give me more overall power, a higher top speed and acceleration, keep the same dimensions as the cb, and parts are plentiful seeing as they still actually make them.

IMAG0325.jpg

the cb tank will fit right on with minor adjustments to the mounting points (its sitting back a bit in the pic). i am also looking at fitting the cb50s disk front end, and its 17" rims and tires, (the ax is 18") and the tires are fucked. 

IMAG0326.jpg

it started pretty good, but started to run away and generally ran really weird, shut it off quickley, and took a look at the carby, it has no needle lol. can get a full rebuild kit with everything except the carb body for like $14 which is refreshing after the cb fiasco, 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

got the carb kit and this runs pretty well, however havnt riden it yet cause the rear sproket resembles a circular saw blade and the chain is the wrong pitch (presume these two issues are closely related) 

however all of my nice parts are finding there way onto the ax frame and not putting up much of a fight so far. 

what ive done so far is;

fit the honda cb50 front shocks (that ive only just put a seal kit in)

cb50 forks suit my disk brake front end, so ive upgraded to that, this also means going from an 18" front wheel to a 17"

decided i quite like the stagard look of 18" on the rear and 17" on the front, and this will save the headache of trying to change the cb50 rear wheel to 428 pitch chain and fit it to the ax frame. 

fit the custom painted cb50 fuel tank

fit the custom brat seat (almost)

got the engine running with the carb rebuilt kit. 

IMAG0350.jpg

IMAG0351.jpg

to do in the near future;

fit the drag bars, will trim them to be more narrow like i wanted to do for the cb

fit the much smaller (2") cb50 speedo, to suit the cb front wheel. 

fit new sprocket and chains

detab and paint this frame red as per original build. 

• Like 3

made alot of progress today. 

in the process of pulling an 80cc engine out of the garage for z181200, i discovered a 420 pitch sproket that fits the ax100 engine and allows me to run the CB rear wheel and chain which had had new bearings/sprokets/chain etc etc fitted. so cheers Andy for essentially saving me ~$140 on a new sproket kit and 18" rear tire! 

this made the bike ride able, and i took it around the block and its really rather quick! so i decided i really needed to fit up the seat and front break etc before riding it any more. 

ive also fitted and chopped down the drag bars and im loving the look. it needs the front headlight to look right but thats probably happening tomorrow. 

IMAG0384.jpg

IMAG0385.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

headlight mounted, (might change to slimline brackets)

seat mounted, 

engine running well (needs a good hard run to clear out i think) 

front brake hooked up

started making the bracket for the speedo aswell. will see how it turns out, but im liking it so far, will also serve as a place to mount a couple idiot lights. 

IMAG0399.jpg

IMAG0400.jpg

an overall image

IMAG0401.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

For those not following the tech thread i had about this, took in for a ride totalling about 250kms all up. made the trip all good, but had a weird spluttering issue, turns out a part of the carb rebuild kit was to blame. thats now all fixed and its running very well now. 

took it for a blat up the port hills this evening. so much fun

IMAG0426.jpg

IMAG0429.jpg

also could a mod please edit the title of this thread to read 'flibois CB50 turn AX100 brat' when you get a chance, cheers

• Like 4

over the last couple days i did a quick respray of the frame and a few other parts. it now resembles my original vision that the CB was built to. 

i made up some basic headlight mounts, they are much lower profile than the factory ones, pretty happy with the result. 

just need to find somewhere nice to mount the key now

IMAG0432.jpg

IMAG0433.jpg

pretty excited with that crazy tuned pipe that TMC has made. its going to complete the look of the bike and it will look and sound like a classic race bike :D