Lowlancer's mild boso single speed

lowlancer

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I don't really understand the allure of fixed gear, I don't have an issue with it. It's just something different. Meh.

Thinking I just get a cog and get it machined out with a thread to suit chucked on. Brock Lee is having a look for me though so I hope he can suss me out something.

so is it a feehub but instead of slide on splined sprockets they screw on? before when you were explaining it I thought it was a screw on freewheel like bmx. My 80s spec araya alloy 27 inch rims have suzue hub but it had a screw on suntour 5 speed free wheel that I took off and replacing with bmx single sprocket freewheel

Yeah is exactly that - no spline, just thread. My bad if I explained it wrong. Sheldon has a comparison page of the two styles, I just used what was there as frame of reference.

It probably does come off, unsure how though as I don't have the tool. It adjusts play in the bearings too though, so dunno if I can just lose it and replace it in any case? I wonder whether I can just take it off somehow and do as you did.

freewheel-vs-k7.jpg

Is same as one on left except freewheel is on there. I was hoping to just get cogs to fit that freewheel so I could have like 3 on there for different stz.

Need freewheel removal tool?

Edit: see how the skewer/axle comes a mile out past the bearing? Seems like that would put huge load on it... thinking that's why mine has bent?

• Like 1

i thought that might be the case. the thread is the same as all bmx freewheel so don't worry about that. take to bike shop they will remove it fo free unless they're dick faces. or used a punch and hammer. The thread on it is same as the bottom bracket thread. use a thread on ring nut thing off bb non drive side as spacer

click the link to that picture and you will understand. edit: you wind that thing on then tighten the freewheel onto it. usualy without a spacer it wont be inline with your drive sprocket. assuming the rear wheel is asymmetrical to suit a multispeed bike

I can take a pic of my bikes setup if you still don't understand what im talkn bowt edit: obviously the correct way to do it is to rebuild the wheel and change the hub spacing to suit(ie make it symmetrical) but this way I invented means you don't have to buy 36 new spokes and nipples etc etc. rot808 Stephen used a massive brass plumbing nut to space out his freewheel lol

Yeah I get it, all g.

But chuck ap ic up just in case I'm barking up le wrong tree.

Stuck it all back together and went for a hoon before. Fuck single chain line with no shit attached is efficient as balls, cranks up hills easy as. Was a bit rattly though and chain dropped off going over rough stz.

• 2 months later...