SOHC 4G63 Woes!

Chaos

Afternoon lads,

Car is an '81 EX Lancer with a SOHC 4G63 conversion.

Every since the conversion I've been having little issues with it. At first the issues were limited to the car not starting. It would turn over, real slowly, but not start. After a jump start, it would start, but then sometimes it would struggle to stay alive, often just managing to idle.

Replaced the battery with a new one, seemed to have fixed the issue apart from one instance. Added another ground to the car, thought I had fixed it.

Now yesterday I was taking it for a drive, had a couple o' sluts riding with me, life was good. Turned a corner, and the car all but died. It was like being thrown into limp mode on an injected car, it spluttered and wouldn't rev, so I pulled over. Turned the car off, and it had issues starting again. Then once it started, the only way it would drive is if I had my foot all the way up it. Made for an interesting drive home..

Made it home and it died on the driveway. 10 mins later it started again and ran fine.

Any ideas? Alternator? I thought it might be the battery terminals, but that wouldn't explain it dying mid drive, would it?

It's doing my head in, I just want to drive this thing! Thanks in advance chaps.

did any weird electrical shizz happen when it started fucking out? sounds like possibly a bad connection with an earth or something. like the one from the body to the engine could do that. Would have a shit spark and hard to start. if it does it again grab a jumper lead and put it from the battery - to the block somewhere

Don't limit your connection search to the earth side, check the main battery lead to the starter as well (can get oil contamination and or corrosion at the crimps) and try fitting relays to the coil and starter.

Relays sorted all sorts of similar issues on my old Toyota and it was a pretty cheap fix. About $50 + some crimp on fittings.

Has it still got the standard fuel pump, and also it could be a blocked jet. The standard carbs are so bad for blocking specially if its been sitting or you have just swapped in new engine etc. it does sound electrical tho. The two wires that go into the dizzy ok?Take the cap off and make sure they arnt all worn out.

Standard fuel pump, yep.

I whipped the carb off, looks OK but I wouldn't know what I'm looking for to be honest. I've managed to break the plastic gasket that sits between the carb and the manifold, fml.

Wires inside the dizzy are all OK. Battery leads look fine too, no corrosion or anything.

If it's a carb / jet issue, would that cause the car to be hesitant / slow in cranking? I wouldn't think so?

if its slow cranking and uve replaced the battery,

sound like the brushes on the startermotor are gone.

as for the running side off it i would check fuel pressure

pull the line from the pump to the carb off shove it in ya mums mixing bowl and crank the engine over

some off the simple stuff is always over looked

check the resistance in the leads, tracking threw the leads

spark plug gap and condition

start with the basics and go from there

• 3 weeks later...