torana327's 1976 torana a9x rep

Guest torana327

Guest torana327

so its away getting certed so should have it next week

cert guy found a whole page of "issues" so its been a long expensive road getting it to this point.

ive got the decals ready for when it gets painted next year.cant decide between ultra blue papaya or mandarin.

Guest torana327

I didn't realise the A9X was an option on the sedan as well as the hatch. Nice looking car man, keen to see more.

yes a9x was an option for sedans.i bought some slr gauges off ebay,had them installed only to find the rev counter was missing a part!those gauges are such a hard part to find in nz

Guest torana327

ive got some mint a9x bumpers (lx sunbird are the same,they dont have the rubber strip)to put on and ive got to change the stud pattern on the rear end(ford)to hq as its got hq discs on the front.anyone got some fors axels with hq std pattern?!ive got 14x8 hotwires waiting to go on when i sort the stud pattern .

Dont quote me but I think HQ axle splines are the same as ford 9'. But I'm sure other mods would be needed to make them fit in your diff. I have heard of guys using HQ axles, tubes and brakes on a 9' centre. Probably easier to get the axles you have changed to HQ pattern.

Guest torana327

Your fleet makes me happy. Love your work!

thanks for the compliment!the torana has a funny effect on people-i get random people yelling out "do a burnout"wtf!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest torana327

update:car is certed for all mods now so took it for a wof and failed on rust in the front chassis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!also as it turns out its a 350 chev not 327!how can it pass cert, but fail a wof!the cert guy complained about some pretty minor things so its got me fucked how he missed the rust.so its going in to get the rust done,aiming to have it on the road next year now.....

How can he tell if its a 350 and not 327?

They are identical externally with just a different crank.

Anyway a certification only says the modifications are safe. Not that the vehicle is roadworthy. He only checks what is non standard and makes sure it is up to spec.

Distributor, do not buy procomp. They are totally shit. Spend a few hundred and buy an MSD brand. Flawless dizzy and can get parts for them a piece of cake.

Guest torana327

How can he tell if its a 350 and not 327?

They are identical externally with just a different crank.

Anyway a certification only says the modifications are safe. Not that the vehicle is roadworthy. He only checks what is non standard and makes sure it is up to spec.

Distributor, do not buy procomp. They are totally shit. Spend a few hundred and buy an MSD brand. Flawless dizzy and can get parts for them a piece of cake.

at a guess id say he checked the engine number.

at a guess id say he checked the engine number.

Tell him to piss off - they are the same block and the same 4" bore. They just use a different crank.

You can tell him it was a 350 block because you buggered the 327 block with letting it sit and it got rust pitting in the bores - so you put your 327 crank in a 350 block.

Unless he strips the motor down or is able to measure the displacement then he will never be able to prove you wrong..

edit - from Wikipedia so it must be true.. :D

4.00 in bore family (1962–1998)

Originally intended as the performance block, this engine family through the 350 CID became an all purpose engine that saw use in many applications from Corvettes to vans. All engines in this family share the same block dimensions and sometimes even the same casting number; the latter meaning engines were of the same block, but with different strokes (e.g. the casting number 3970010 was used by all three engines: 302, 327, and 350).