Toyota Crown - Bizarre indicator fault

NicT

Started the car up last night to come home from work (i work nightshift) and my drivers side indicator was stuck on, not flashing.

When i indicate left the indicator works as per normal, when i indicate right there is no change.

I had a look at it this morning and it only occurs when the headlights are turned on. When the car has no lights on the indicator works as intended but my dash does dim and brighten in time to the flashing.

I pulled the dash to check the instrument fuses and relays. Everything is fine. When i turn the headlights on the indicator relay does not turn on, however when i indicator it doesnt turn on either, when i indicate left it works as intended. I switched this relay for another and it works fine. If i pull the headlight relay (so none of the night running lights work) and turn the headlights on the indicator comes on and stays on. This indicates that there is a short.

But where could the short be?

Anyone else had this issue before in any other vehicle?

Going to pull the cluster this weekend when i get enough time and try work it all out, but some ideas on where to start would be rad.

Cheers guys,

Nic

Thinking bad earth, will look into it more on my day off.

Puts me in the shit cause i cant drive it at all at night time.

Would like to also point out, the car has had no modifications or changes to it in 6 months, and i have driven it on the road every day for them. Everything is factory and unmodified.

Definately going to start with the bulbs being easiest, then move to indicator stalk as i have a feeling its in the dash, considering if i unplug the headlights and headlight relay i still get the same fault if i turn the headlights "on"