GTti fuel economy

BlownCorona

So after reading a bit of the rotory viva repower thread and various fuel economys.

it got me thinking, actually i had already been thinking, that my turbo charade is possibly not being as economical as it should be.

i just ran a full tank though it, ~35 litres, and returned 300kms. meaning about 8.5 km/l

Does anyone know what i should expect from a car like this? i know o2 sensor wear out and cause economy issues.

there is also a sensor in my exhaust, either egt or o2 (or maybe something else, but its a pretty thin probe like one) that i cant find a plug in the loom for what so ever.

Thoughts?

is that round town, highway, or a mixture of both?

I think most cars have a fuel tank large enough to provide a range of around 650kms on a trip with moderate-to-frugal driving.

who knows if the engineers at daihatsu provided a larger tank into the charade when they slapped a hairdryer in under the hood?

8.5km/litre doesn't sound right at all.

it's not a 1:1 comparison I know, but even my supercharged MR2 returns between 11-13km/litre mixed town and open road driving (recently did a trip out of town which got me 500km from 35 litres, and I don't nana it)

with that said, a lot of the smaller turbo cars don't get great open road economy due to lack of torque, gear ratios, and the tiny turbo being on boost all the time. Do you have a boost gauge plumbed in? Keep an eye on manifold vacuum at cruise speeds - if you're close to 0mmHg on the gauge, that won't be doing wonders for economy at all.

also unsure if these cars are super sensitive to the O2 sensor being faulty or not.

the car weighs what, 800kgs, and has 3 tiny cylinders... it's like your new g/f is a petite size 8, but you take her out for drinks and dinner and she devours a chinese banquet, and is drinking a jug for every schooner you put down. and then has a vindaloo on the way home. you'll be wondering if she has worms... or a pair of nads. :shock:

I used to drive a G11 NA for work back in the late 80's, it was one of our pool cars and used to get a hammering. seemed happier in third at 100kph, nobody drove it with a light foot, and it still seemed to take going to the petrol pump as a slight on it's character - a wowser car at the bowser.

the gtti owners club provides the following specs wrt fuel economy (with my conversions added) for your model:

Urban: 37.2 mpg (7.6l/100km)

@ 55 MPH: 54.3 mpg (5.2l/100km)

@ 75 MPH: 37.3 mpg (7.6l/100km)

so yes, your figures seem very slurpy - 8.5km/l is 11.7l/100kms (or 25 miles per your imperial gallon). you'll be wanting to figure out where your girl is throwing that extra 5 litres for each 100kms. is she throwing it down her trousers, or into the plant on the bar?

I'd guess a wideband is going to give you lots of info - surely in this case it's going to be way-rich, or a fuel leak? Have you done the basics - air filter, vacuum leaks, fuel lines good, all sensors functioning as expected? Plugs leads and coil in tip-top spec?

The gtti oc has some essential downloads - including a troubleshooting manual for the CB-80. check out http://www.gttioc.com/index.php/article ... ifications

hope that helps

cheers!

edit: do download the manual (assuming its for your engine), I'd expect that working your way through that with each of the checks should see you suss the problem.

Attach

I think most cars have a fuel tank large enough to provide a range of around 650kms on a trip with moderate-to-frugal driving.

Not mine! I dream of such figures! I have attached a small balloon to my right foot and it has not helped.

But 8.5L doesn't seem too bad for town driving?

And Orion- 500 Kms on a 35 litre tank from your SC mr2! Wow.. I never got that from mine. I used to drive from Blenheim to Chch and see if I could do the trip without the little green SC dash light coming on just to be super cheap.

Wait a second - are you acheiving 8.5L per 100km - or is it 8.5 km per Litre?

the first would seem approximately right for the gtti around town with relatively normal driving/alot of short trips etc.

but 8.5km per litre would be awful for that thing or mean that your are thrashing its panties off all over the show.