cheap 2 Post Hoists on Trademe - Any good?

shandawg

Hi guys

I'm looking at buying a 2 post hoist for the workshop - have any of you bought one of these or know of anyone who has one? Don't want to buy one then find you can't get seals etc for them!

Looking at possibly one of these: http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farmi ... 222549.htm or these http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farmi ... 414857.htm

Not looking at commercial use or anything, mainly weekend tinkering, oil changes etc

Thanks!

Go with Heshbon, or ring around the hoist installation companies and ask if they have ripped out any decent old italian ones they want to get rid of.

Just went down this road myself, seems it's cheaper in the long run to get something with a long warranty and service backup.

Still got myself a cheap old two post shitter, already thinking I made the wrong decision and it's not even installed yet.

I managed to score a 4 poster from a local buisness upgrading...Was made 30years ago by a company in Katikati who still make and service them today. Solid NZ Made products unlike some of that chinese crappp..If you can find one of those they pretty solid.

We have one of those 4 posters, watching it sway violently with a loaded up ute on it during aftershocks was scary but it survived.(takes a day or so to be confident under it again lol) Had to move it though it damaged the floor.

We got a Launch 2 poster fitted the day of the big quake, Chinese made and heaps more expensive than links posted, I have to say looking around it doesn't "seem" any different to the cheap ones and I wonder how the prices are so different. I wouldn't call it high quailty although no major faults yet.

Next one we buy will be as mentioned above, second hand Italian.

id be cautious about a hoist from a workshop upgrading, not many workshop owners would spend $$ on a new hoist unless there was something wrong with the old one, unless they were going from 2 to 4 post to do wheel alignments etc. at my old shop we had a istobal 2 post and a heshbon 2 post hydraulic. the istobal used to give its fairshare of trouble, chain stretching, drive belt slip, worn drive nuts, stuff like that. the heshbon was good.

i use different brands of hoists every day, the main issues with china hoists are lift/drop times are a bit slow, cheaper ones have individual locks that you have to pull a cable on both sides to release, some dont have threads on the pad adjusters so you have to use spacers, build quality is a bit suss on some of the switchgear etc. have been looking at buying one recently and would probably go with something from these guys http://www.gdcequipment.co.nz/hoists/

none of the shops i have talked to have had any problems with them.

another thing to consider is most second hand ex workshop hoists are 3 phase, if you buy new you can choose either 3 or single phase.

my opinion= new china one will be fine for a home hoist, you arent going to use it enough to wear it out quickly, and the things that are a disadvantage in a workshop like slower lift times dont really matter at home.

my opinion= new china one will be fine for a home hoist, you arent going to use it enough to wear it out quickly, and the things that are a disadvantage in a workshop like slower lift times dont really matter at home.

^That. If it is for a proper workshop, then buy something quality...Heshbon hoists can be had for sub $6k new.