4WD to RWD Gearbox conversion.

japawagons

So...

Basically my plan in the hopefully not to distant future is to convert my crown to a 6 cylinder diesel engine, something along the lines of a 1HD. Anyway the major hurdle that I can see other than the outrageous price is the transmission.

If you are not familiar with Toyota's these are the Landcruiser engines that are only released with 4WD transmissions attached.

Are you able to convert a 4WD gearbox to RWD by basically removing the transfer case off the end of it and maybe fitting a tail shaft arrangement perhaps off another box?

Or would the more obvious answer of either a custom bellhousing on a RWD gearbox e.g W series or R154 box, or an adapter plate arrangement be the go?

I've had a semi thorough google and haven't found any info relevant to my plans at all...

Thoughts, Criticism, Suggestions and Ideas are encouraged...

brian howatt of howatt engineering, the guy that's done kickers/beaver steels down in Welly, apparently makes all the bits/does the conversion for removing the transfer case from hilux 4x45 w series for use in RWD situations. might be worth giving him a call to see if he could do it with a 'cruiser setup. He also may be able tp advise on making up an adaptor plate to let you bolt up to a w or r154 box, or perhaps even to a B-engine box form a dyna or something?

alternatively, these toyota coasters (hdb51)

01w.jpg

and perhaps some slightly earlier ones roll a 2wd 1hdt setup. never seen a manual one yet but they might be out there. perhaps see if that kayatonka guy could track you a box down?

Are you able to convert a 4WD gearbox to RWD by basically removing the transfer case off the end of it and maybe fitting a tail shaft arrangement perhaps off another box?

Not sure with the Toyota stuff but with the Mitsubishis the main shaft is way to long to do this and it becomes uneconomic.

Won't a Coaster gearbox be way to large/heavy in a car? Can't remember what they look like.

I'd go the kz engine with an auto myself but that'll probably look strange in the engine bay. Those hz engines are unstoppable so I wouldn't think there was a large second hand market for them. (just did at least my 65th service on a customers one, still haven't removed rocker cover yet)

Yeah VX's are going for stupid money really... Which is a shame a 24 Valve 1HD would be the go...

Ease of installation is not what I am going for to be honest, I am after a 6 Cylinder as it's what it will be replacing and 1HD's go nuts even in a Landcruiser format. I am just interested to see what it would be like in something like a crown chassis...

just giving food for thought.

consider the td42 from Nissan. they are 4.2 l straight 6 and LOVE boost. guys get very very impressive power out of them. there are cheap and awesome cast turbo manifolds available.

best part? diesel bell housing mounts it to the 300zx auto trans.

the best place to ask is probably ore.co.nz as those guys live and breathe this stuff and will surely have all answers

I did think of the 1PZ for a bit but that was all of 2 Seconds...

Nissan, No. Unfortunately I'm a pedantic prick about criss crossing manufacturers. I think it's the biggest sin of them all. But only for my own vehicles for the most part, when other people do it it's usually awesome...

Weird I know...