cheap, semi reliable turbo setup suggestions for a 4k

waylowkp

hey all, have been toying with the idea of turboing my 4k ke70, was just wondering if anyone had carried this out and/or if they could recommend a cheapish way to do so?? not after a huge power jump just a bit more go and alot of noise, any suggestions greatly appreciated

recently i found out that honda city turbos were a carb turb setup, and this sort of made sense in my head with turboing a starlet.

both 1300cc so should be pretty well matched.

but i have no idea on the availibility or even plausibility of this idea.

nope, all 5 of the one i owned were injected.

tiny wee turbos anyway, would be better with something a little newer too.

gt starlet ct9 (?) perhaps?

beaten

Get a small turbo, adapt it to the exhaust manifold. Blow through the factory carb, you can intercool a blow through if you want. I didn't.

Electric fuel pump, I had mine mounted in the engine bay sucking from the tank. Adjustable fuel reg, rising rate probably better.

I had the return from the reg Tee'd back into the inlet of the pump so I didn't have to run a return all the way to the tank.

You will need to play with the jet and fuel pressure to get it running right, rich is good while setting it all up.

Back the timing off too and then creep up on it.

It's pretty easy, don't over complicate it just have a go. I only ran 6psi but it went really well, comparable or better than my efi engine which made 72kw at the wheels.

I used it as my daily for over a year, blew a lot of exhaust manifold gaskets. Blew the head gasket at an autocross event because it was overheating and I didn't stop until the radiator tank exploded.