Help from an electronics guru please

anglia4

I'm trying to wire up the indicators on my motorbike so that I can have a momentary switch on each side of the handlebars.

Press the button on the left handlebar, indicators start flashing

Press is again, indicators stop flashing

I tried to achieve this with the following circuit

DSCF6130.jpg

But upon bench testing it, the latching relays don't seem to be doing what I wanted them to. I can't get the lights to come on at all. (the reason for the second relay is that the latching ones I got from Jaycar are only 1A which I think is a bit dicey for running my indicators. The indicators [switched load] is across terminals 3-5 on the second relay).

How can I make it work without spending gynormous amounts of mulah?

EDIT: I had hoped that when you pressed the button and the latching relay switched the indicators on with one pole, it would switch the other pole from one coil to the other so that when you pressed the button the next time it would activate the opposite coil and switch the other way.

Build this circuit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/todbot/436 ... /lightbox/

and on the output on the far right, instead of having 5V, have 12V and connect pin 1 and 2 of your relay to pin 1 and 2 of the connector that goes to that transistor on the right.

To create 5V from 15 to run this little circuit, simply use an LM78L05 (you can buy these from jaycar, just like all the other bits like the 555) and put a 100nF ceramic cap in the 12V side of the 78L05 and on the 5V output. Also maybe put a larger cap, like a 220uF electro on the 12 input as well just for lols.

Also put a diode across the coil of the relay. a 1n4007 should cut it. Put the anode on the negative connection of the coil and the cathode to the 12V side.

That enough info?

Yeah that would be the ideal scenario but I have found really nice handlebar mounted switches but they are only momentary buggers. I'd love to use the ones from jaycar which are latching switches and luminate around the edge but they won't fit nicely to my bars.

Build this circuit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/todbot/436 ... /lightbox/

and on the output on the far right, instead of having 5V, have 12V and connect pin 1 and 2 of your relay to pin 1 and 2 of the connector that goes to that transistor on the right.

To create 5V from 15 to run this little circuit, simply use an LM78L05 (you can buy these from jaycar, just like all the other bits like the 555) and put a 100nF ceramic cap in the 12V side of the 78L05 and on the 5V output. Also maybe put a larger cap, like a 220uF electro on the 12 input as well just for lols.

Also put a diode across the coil of the relay. a 1n4007 should cut it. Put the anode on the negative connection of the coil and the cathode to the 12V side.

That enough info?

To be really difficult, my switches are single wire and ground through the bars :lol: am I fucked?

Thanks for that Ned! I really appreciate the help.

Getting my bike running for next weekend is a bit of a priority at the moment so I've just made some simple plates to hold latching switches to the bars for the moment.

I'll look at doing the circuit that you have drawn up there in a couple of months time. Cheers!