DOT-5???

sholdowa

The jensen is really sulking from being ignored for a couple of months. On the way back from getting new tyres ( thanks cul8r, the steering is transformed! ), brakes went straight to the floor down Dyers Pass. Couple of pumps and they stopped quick as ever.

So, time to flush and refill the braking system. I've been reading up and most people seem to think it's a good idea, and 'fairly' simple to upgrade to DOT-5 ( just turn the caliper upside down as the silicone fluid is lighter ). What do those with experience in this think???

Cheers,

Steve

Absolutely make sure you wash it out and remove every trace of the old stuff. If they mix, they turn into jello and it will be real pain trying to flush it out.

What do you think is the advantage of upgrading? I'm pretty sure both have fine performance for street, just DOT5 doesn't eat paint.

Isnt the only real advantage with the dot5 that is non hygroscopic and silicon based or somthing?May have a slightly higher temp range.

I changed from 4 to 5 a while ago in lancer when doing a few trackdays and stuff, never noticed any difference.That was going from a good 4 to a 5 tho.I think i flushed out the entire system with brakecleen, i cant remember.

dot 5 is ok but the only real advantage is that freezing point of it, if you want to upgrade your fluid imo it would be better to go to 4.1, i have no idea if it dose anything to the rubbers in an old car and would love to hear if anyone knows anything more about this.

wtf.. so much wrong info here.

Dot 5 is SILICON based, and is NOT to be mixed with systems which use the ethylene glycol fluid such as dot 3, dot 4 and dot 5.1.

Do not confuse Dot 5 with Dot 5.1 - Dot 5.1 does NOT supersede Dot 5. Dot 5.1 can be used in place of Dot 3 and Dot 4 specifications, and has a higher boiling point.

If you wish to use Dot 5, you HAVE to remove ALL traces of any ethylene glycol based brake fluid left in the system - this usually means a complete flush or even a complete strip down and replacement of seals etc. Dot 5 also does not absorb moisture as well as Dot 3/4/5.1 and needs to be changed more frequently.

Just use Castrol Super Dot 4 in the silver bottle which has near Dot 5.1 performance in terms of boiling point for 1/3 the cost of Dot 5.1 fluid.

Not yet please JoKer.

I've read lots about this, and would really like other opinions. The advantages AIUI is that DOT-5 will last the odd decade, is non-hygroscopic and leaves your paintwork alone.

The stuff I've googled suggests that it's a pretty easy job, which is why I've asked for opinions.

wtf.. so much wrong info here.

Dot 5 is SILICON based, and is NOT to be mixed with systems which use the ethylene glycol fluid such as dot 3, dot 4 and dot 5.1.

Do not confuse Dot 5 with Dot 5.1 - Dot 5.1 does NOT supersede Dot 5. Dot 5.1 can be used in place of Dot 3 and Dot 4 specifications, and has a higher boiling point.

If you wish to use Dot 5, you HAVE to remove ALL traces of any ethylene glycol based brake fluid left in the system - this usually means a complete flush or even a complete strip down and replacement of seals etc. Dot 5 also does not absorb moisture as well as Dot 3/4/5.1 and needs to be changed more frequently.

Just use Castrol Super Dot 4 in the silver bottle which has near Dot 5.1 performance in terms of boiling point for 1/3 the cost of Dot 5.1 fluid.

Holy fuck so much this. And as above, not all Dot 4 fluid is created equal, and neither is all Dot 5.1. Make sure you check the wet boiling points of both.

+ 1 on using the castrol stuff in silver bottle, thats what ive ended up using after the escapades down the dot5 rout that was just a pain in the ass.

I supply a fair number of race guys with fluids including brake fluids.they all just rock dirty old dot 4.1 or 5.1 and just change it regularly if things get a bit mushy.