KIRK

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

forgot about updating this thread. velobike went well and clutch worked ideal. Even too much tension is possible. Shame Sam and Alain :tongue: . Will update velobike shit later. Got a few new things planned on the velobike front. I'm working on acquiring parts for kirk mark 5 which is guna be a twin 50 to take over from kirk mark 4 in the 100cc class. kirk mark 4 is guna be dismantled to provide parts for kirk mark 6 which is guna take on the big blocks. unsure if its guna be a twin 100cc or a triple. Triple might be too hard.. Kirk mark 2(panda bike) is guna be decommissioned and restored to pedal action for my nephew.

Anyway. I got wifes hmx500 frame, bars and back hub powder coated this week. Gun get it built fo her to ride at bike summit if we can make it. May be over seas tho.

IMG_0743_zps0541612f.jpg

Thanks to Tim at procoat. Procoat did a lush and fast job for a reasonable price. You can see all my bills I had to push aside in order to get this done lolol. Also shown are the nos/new tange tx500 forks I bought.

im not 100% sold on powder coating for old bikes tho. I think enamel is more legit. The black 16 inch bmx I painted looks just as good/maybe even better(can fill in the little rust dimples and dents etc better). but I guess no where near as durable and its way more time consuming to diy paint.

• Like 1

looks ace man, I need to spend some more money on my bikes - my supersport is all done now, I keep forgetting to take pics. I think mine cost $120 powder coating through Tim, I think I got a clear put over the top as well though - was yours about that?

Whats the other yellow bike with your blue one? Morrison?

looks ace man, I need to spend some more money on my bikes - my supersport is all done now, I keep forgetting to take pics. I think mine cost $120 powder coating through Tim, I think I got a clear put over the top as well though - was yours about that?

Whats the other yellow bike with your blue one? Morrison?

Thanks, yeh it was $150 incl gst for the frame, bars and hub. He did tell me approx. $80+gst for a bmx frame but it depends on condition and style of frame etc so price can vary a little bit I think.

The other yellow bike is a Morrison dirt buster. I think late 70's. Its pretty lush but way feels way heavier than the healings. The loop tail and gussets are cool tho. I'll take a better pic of it soon if you like.

I just got a rusty as super sport frame. Guna get it drunk ride able using rubbish from my garage

laid out all my hmx500 bits. Still one or two things I need and I can't remember where I put all the bits for the back hub haha.

IMG_0751_zps9a4bf758.jpg

also some velobike stuff of kirk mk4. I don't have a pic of it finished haha:

th_IMG_0730.jpg

^that's a video if you click on it.

v top speed 76kph. that video about 60kph I think

IMG_0727.jpg

bought some more new pedals lol and some new grips. Also got a nos hub rebuild kit from the bike shop and have managed to piece together a functional rear hub using some of the new parts and some of the original shimano parts(hubs aren't exactly the same). Guna run the original chrome arm on it, gotta take it apart again now to build wheel anyway.

IMG_0754_zps1c41edf2.jpg

Oh I see your hmx is the single gusset mk i type, nice. Before you suss a stem make sure you check if yours is 21.1 or 22.2mm as they did differ. Thr period correct stem for it is one of those twin clamp ones if you are fussed, they dont look as sweet as some other stems - a bit agricultural looking but sweet regardless

• Like 1

yeh I looked for one of those twin clamp stems for over a year lol, they were made by healing just for the mk 1 hmx500 and early minimax I think. Early Morrison sidewinder has a similar stem.

I gave up on making this 100% original. too hard to find a good pair of chrome rims etc(I've bought 4 arayas off trademe and they're all different sizes and have dents lol). so went with gold theme cos I kept finding sweet gold parts haha.

due to arsehole weather have been mucking around with shit today. Polished the heck out of the stem and cranks. So sparkle, but you can't really tell in this crap pic lol. Also laced up front wheel. came out true as which is good cos trueing wheels is boring/I suck at it.  Now working on back wheel. Its a bit bent tho lol so will see how it turns out

IMG_0759_zpsfaad0ed3.jpg

ps. don't tell wife I turned lounge into workshop cos garage is too cold

so yeh on Wednesday arvo I broke two lawnmowers. Was fucking around trying to fix them yesterday morning and got sick of it so decided work is gay I will build hmx500 instead. So I did and then I went and ate lots of dumplings and played pool at bar 18.

Made the back wheel and put it all together. Just needa get a new chain breaker to do the chain.  Don't wana ruin the expensive/lush gold chain with my usual pin punch and socket chain building. And then do up all the nuts/bolts tight and adjust seat and bars etc to suit wife (everything is loose and wonky atm...talking about the bike not wife lol)

Wheels spin nice and true which is a surprise (I have no idea what i'm doing I just copy the wheels on my single speed bike lol). Also back hub seems to work, which is awesome, cos it didn't work at all before. All the bearings were collapsed and the little things that grip the hub were worn out.

frame as I found it in the taro patch:

IMG_0659.jpg

complete-ish bike after a year and a half of finding all the parts (the headset made from the best bits of 5 different bikes haha) :

IMG_0770_zpsaa075df5.jpg

IMG_0771_zps0bd4f651.jpg

IMG_0772_zps67ed9afa.jpg

if anybody has a Shimano coaster brake arm strap thing that attaches to frame, sell to me. They say shimano on them and are like 100 times lusher than crappy new ones. edit: oh and I need some dust caps for the cranks. silstar/SR. prob find them on a healing 10 speed or something similar

• Like 5