Joker/Keltik/Subaru guys (EJ20)

KKtrips

I'm doing a couple of oil leaks on a Subaru - back of the head - from memory its a common place..

Just want to confirm that I'm looking at the right thing to replace.. Should I be looking at something else?

Some pics from the internet

RHCamServiceHole.jpg

RHCamO-ring.jpg

(HIJACK) Slightly but not really related - work hack is a 2002 N/A EJ20 manual wagon but its gutless as all buggery down low which can be very embarrasing pulling away at the lights. If the aircon is on it almost stalls. Can you reset the ecu on these things? Anything else to try? Have plugged in a diagnostic tool but no errors came up.

cam cover seals?

I guess thats what you call them. They cover the cam where I would expect the distributor would come out on the drivers side head if it had one.

Haven't taken any notice of the passenger side one as its not leaking AFAIK but as I'm doing cambelt - I may as well do it while I'm in there.

(HIJACK) Slightly but not really related - work hack is a 2002 N/A EJ20 manual wagon but its gutless as all buggery down low which can be very embarrasing pulling away at the lights. If the aircon is on it almost stalls. Can you reset the ecu on these things? Anything else to try? Have plugged in a diagnostic tool but no errors came up.

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.php/ ... e/ECUReset

Hey boe, is it a EJ16/18/22? As those were the only motors to have a cover plate for a distributor. The rest all ran coil on plug exclusively or wasted spark so no dizzy.

Most likely place for a leak is the cam covers or the little half moons at the back of each cam if its a twin cam. If you do need to buy new cam cover rubber gaskets - get em from Subaru - the aftermarket ones dont fit right and just leak straight away.

On the EJ207 and EJ208 - i have heard of people experiencing oil leaks from the head gasket as the pressure feed to the head goes through a o-ringed pipe at the rear bottom of the head.

So found out tonight the car is actually a single cam motor - so I have replaced the cam and crank seals along with those o-rings I put in my first post - the drivers side one is a piece of cake - the passenger side one is slightly more involved as the piece I needed to remove was a fair bit bigger - still replacing the seals only took 45 minutes more once I had the cambelt off.

Also the rocker cover gaskets were replaced about a year ago..

Need to go swap the DOHC cambelt for a SOHC tomorrow and reassemble it tomorrow night.. Doh

BTW Ben - its an EJ20 SOHC - I wasn't saying it had a dizzy - was just saying its where I would expect a dizzy to go IF it had one.