trd diff . . . etc

ta63-1uzze

i have got a cusco and a trd f series and just about every ratio you can get for f series(been hording parts for years in preparation for this project) , but am thinking that the 1uzze is going to kill it / or brake stub axels etc.

so whilst i am in the modifying stage of my rear coil over / shock mounts i thought it would be a good time to look into diff upgrade. but not sure on options, i know sheepers has a g series that is extensively modified to fit his car, i was thinking of doing similar arrangement. I believe it may be slightly more simple for me as my floor is already irs so that may help or may not am yet to measuer it all up. I am going to go get a g series sub frame and diff next week for cheap just to look into the idea, I haven’t done any research or anything this has all come about from looking at other people build threads

am guessing you are running with a f series too? Is your 1u project coming along well simon?

Oh yeah.

Well, I'm just in the middle of exams now so in a couple of weeks I will have time to get back into it properly. I have the motor sitting in it with the box attached so just have to make mounts and do all the plumbing, wiring, driveshaft and exhaust.

I bought a TA63 F series diff in Nelson that will bolt into the race coupe.

In the Bagged coupe I will be running IRS F series.

I'm pretty sure F series can handle a lot of power though. Especially if you get new beefy axles made.

G series or 8 inch is in the ma70 supra turbo and cressida mx83 grande same as hilux

Are these IRS?

G series also in the aristo's etc as far as i can tell, so can buy trd for about ~$1200 at trade from toyota
im using a f series in the gt celica that come std and it handles 200 kws at the back wheels ok

looking at between 400 to 450 horsepower, that is about 300 ish kw ,g series look to be in allot of cars, supra, soarer, aristo, chaser ,cresta to name a few.

some times i wish it was as easy as play doh. think i will sell up these lovely diffs and upgrade to a g series.

I'm pretty sure F series can handle a lot of power though. Especially if you get new beefy axles made.

i was thinking its the stub axels that will be the problem , well kind of the same problem you get when you put to much power through most diffs, its the splines that give way . but i don’t know to be honest, haven’t ever had a problem with the f series, its a tough mofo , but now i am more than doubling the factory power so i assume that something’s going to give

I've actually never seen a stripped spline. More so heaps of broken axels lol.

Truenotch is running a T series behind a rather peppy 3SGE Beams and hes never busted a centre from too much power. It's always the axles to go.

I wouldnt be worried about using the F series unless you plann on doing plenty of skids, or heading to the drags with sticky rubber

na no drags or any of that , but yes to skids, and yes to drift days etc, i plan to use this car and have some fun with it . i was thinking of mikes soarer and when he went 2j did he have any issues with the diff , (its his cusco that i have) also in my trd it’s his 3.7 CW and pinion was searching for that ratio for years to put in my old carina, then i finally find it and i had sold the car

i wonder if i just keep to small tyres if that will keep the brake away traction low, lessen the torque going through the diff , not unreasonably small but maybe just 215 or similar

what are caldina gtt rear diffs, they look like f series too ?

I've actually never seen a stripped spline. More so heaps of broken axels lol.

Truenotch is running a T series behind a rather peppy 3SGE Beams and hes never busted a centre from too much power. It's always the axles to go.

have seen many snapped, twisted axels . have done quite a few myself, but they have always been in solid diffs, i think they act differently to irs but i have never come across anyone who has actually broken f series so i don’t know what is the week link, inner spline ,stub, axel, cv joint. . . anyone out there in internet land broken anything irs from to much power?? What was the out come ?

That's very true.

I have actually never seen a broken IRS setup haha.

There is a T series in my race coupe at the moment. Done about 100k and seems great.

I'm gonna leave it there and see how long it lasts behind a 1uz. lol

I have a feeling that if I don't shock it, it will last longer than I thought.

Mike was running a 300kw 1jz in his soarer with 17" rims and 225ish tyres. He broke the stub axles going into the diff head once i believe and that was because they weren't quite in the head completely

Are you going to run wide 17"s?

I guess in summary plenty of people have run big power and done skids on IRS F series diffs, a few have broken axle related bits but they handle the abuse pretty well. Possibly keep somne spares and just roll with it

If you never want it to break nab some JZ/MA70 G series gear and maike it fit. I know some people have broken G series stuff but that was massive power and drag launches