Matt's Rotary Anglia

mattj

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I think so, my only real concern is that the motor has been sitting for a long time and I haven't turned it over or anything so the apex springs might have lost some spring plus it will be full of spiders but they should burn out ok.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Really cool to see such good progress on this. Who are you dealing with for the cert? If its Barry in Mot he's really good.

When this is all done we must get you along on some nelson OS meets. Ive been thinking of planning a run over to Takaka soon if you have another old car you can bring?

I have been talking to Gavin at Rodz, Ridez, and Restorations in Richmond, he has been really good to deal with so far.

Yeah definitely keen to get along to a meet, unfortunately no other old cars lying around (or none that run anyway....) I did a run over that way with the Anglia club in Nelson (this is before I ripped the car apart) and its pretty good fun on the hill.

I am off work tomorrow so going to hit it hard again and try and get the welding finished off

• Like 1

Nice build man, ive seen another anglia getting round nelson thats been resprayed in a new ford blue  same wheels and thought it might have been yours when i saw your build thread.

Id recommend Barry Dowler in mot for cert, hes really good and really helpful and he'll come to you before cert and go over the car just to make sure theres nothing blatantly obvious that it will fail cert on, ive heard a couple of mixed reviews for the certifier in richmond.. but in saying that i havnt dealt with him myself, just had mates who have.

cheers

Matt

Id agree with the above statement. Barry is very easy to get along with and is fair. Safe but fair. 

But the other certifier, Gavin, who is being taught the ropes by Barry, does have an amazing mullet (and squeaky voice)

• Like 3

Ok cheers, yeah I did actually talk to Barry when I first moved to Nelson but then figured it might be better dealing with someone closer plus I drive right past Gavin's shop on my way to work. What sort of issues did your mates have?

I know a lot of the guys that run the mot drags and are in nzdra, they own their own car orientated businesses and do everything by the the book in terms of building their cars/hot rods etc that have had to redo a lot of stuff that's all been done to a high standard because the certifier either isn't familar with the car or the way something's been done (more that one way to skin a cat). Also heard that they can be hard to deal with if the car isn't to their liking in terms of make and model etc. thats just what I've heard from a few older guys that have dealt with both certifiers.

Not trying to bad mouth anyone that's purely word of mouth but it's from a lot of older guys who build hot/rat rods and V8s etc and have dealt with both certifiers in the past.

I've only dealt with Barry so maybe a bit biased but he's definitely a top bloke and more than happy to help, supply info on how to do the build and come to you to view the car and go over any issues before you fork out for the cert test

• Like 1

Ok, interesting... It's a bit shit that things can vary between certifiers but it's the way it goes sometimes I guess. I have followed the hot rod manual pretty closely so there shouldn't be much that they can pull me up on. But I will give it some more thought anyway

Cheers

cool build man, a guy comes into work with a really tidy blue one on steelies and hubcaps it looks really awesome, it will be neat with a rotary! I've also had two cars certified with barry super nice guy

• 1 month later...

engine bay looks good

Cheers, yeah it would be nice to get it painted to finish it all off but unfortunately I can't afford it at the moment. There are still a couple of big purchases to come

Awesome Matt!Keep up the good work it sounds like you are nearly there.Have you thought to get a couple of extra sets of steering arms made?

Ha ha funny you say that Pete, I am actually getting 2 sets made. I will post some pics up of what I have done over the weekend and see if anyone else is interested though.

And yes nearly there but I have been saying that for a while now.....

Motivation is high though

• Like 1

Love this build, probably my current favourite on the site.

Surfing facebook and found this video, might provide a bit of motivation

https://www.facebook.com/rotarymotorsports/videos/877024002346752/

Cheers

Matt

Thanks mate, that video is pretty sweet, there have been a lot of times when I have thought that I should have left the motor and run a turbo, in some ways it would have made things easier.