help me find my suspension knock

mikey

I'm quickly running out of ideas, maybe one of you clever chaps has an idea.

There's a knock coming from the rear when I load or unload the suspension in the 240z. Easily reproducable buy taking my foot off the gas whilst in gear. There'll be a loud thunk. Then another when I'm on the gas again. Doesn't seem to happen going over bumps.

I've checked all bolts on control arms, tightened strut gland nuts, checked diff mount and bolts. All bushes look good. Swaybar looks to have been fouling on control arm due to mis adjustment, fixed that. There's some play in 2 unit's so will replace those but doubt it's the cause. Strut top nuts are tight.

I sectioned my struts so its possible one of the welds on a tube has cracked, doesn't seem likely but.

Any other ideas?

The S30Z is notorious for rear end knock. My brother's did it, we replaced the diff mount and then it developed again and again, it was the mount. You're likely to find the mount whilst it may seem OK, is poked.

I did a quick search for you (because it's common it's fairly easy to find) here are some opinions;

1. the most common source of rear end "clunks" are either the front differential isolator, or your moustache bar bushings.

2. Check the front differential mount !!... lay under the car, put your strong arm/hand under the nose of the differential -PUSH UP AS HARD AS YOU CAN. If you can push the front of the differential up - the front mount is broken - replace it.

Secondly - there is a "strap" that runs over the top of the nose of the differential - make sure that is in place and stoping the upward movement of the nose of the differential - that strap is there to help prevent breaking the front differential mount - by limiting the upward movement of the nose of the differential under acceleration from rest.

3. As a data point, my Z has very high miles. To get rid of my clunks, had to replace 4 out of 6 UJoints, all 4 of the stub axle bearings, differential mount, transmission mount, and the mustache bar bushings. Plus I had a chattering clutch. It was so multi symptomatic that I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on until I started replacing each part. Every repair made things better.

Also,

http://www.z-car.com/240zdiff.htm

Ok, I'll start by replacing the suspect uni's in the morrow, and if I still have issues replace the diff mount.

I think I just wanted to rant more than anything. Dem cars can be tricky little beggers.

Cheers fellas.

Went to replace the suspect uni's and I think I've found the issue. There appears to be masses of play in the diff, if you spin the input flange back and forward it'll give quite the clunk. All this started after a track day. I'll pull it out when I do the engine swap but I think I might as well upgrade it then since its just a vlsd