Speakers and stuff

felixx

OK I brought me an amp

It will put out 2 x 55W (4 ohms)

I will plug MP3/ Phone into it to make the right noises

Sooo when it comes to speakers, do I install 50W, 100W, 200W, 300W so I can get the best sound with out distortion?

What would happen if I put 8 ohm impedance speakers in instead?

I know 2 x 55w will not win a sound off, I just want music when I drive and dont have a place to mount a headunit

4ohm should be common as, so i'd go that way. If it's 55W RMS, then just find some speakers that are rated to something slightly higher RMS input. Most speaker ratings are pointless, RMS are the ratings you want to compare. The ratings most used are just marketing rubbish and not all that helpful.

Could be wrong on some of that as i'm not sounds expert, but should be mostly right. I'd probably grab a pair of boxed 6x9 speakers of known brand for a relatively cheap / good sound. Where are the speakers going? Could always know together a box for in the boot with speakers build in / amp bolted to the side.

Speakers are going in my parcel tray and amp under the tray so it is out of site.

I had 6" speakers mounted under there last time, they were OK, but stereo was 25W x 2. And the boxed had no back. I was thinking of some 5 x 7"s as the space is tight and make some MDF boxes for them.

yeah what has been said is true, i would expect its 2x55wrms, which to be honest is fairly powerful, these 1000w amps you see from sony and shit are only about 50-70 wrms per channel.

just have a look at some speakers and find a set with matching or slightly over RMS ratings and box them up nice, though most car speakers (apart from subs) are free air speakers and do not require a sealed box to work properly, just might sound weird if you generate weird echos in the boot.

yeah what has been said is true, i would expect its 2x55wrms, which to be honest is fairly powerful, these 1000w amps you see from sony and shit are only about 50-70 wrms per channel.

just have a look at some speakers and find a set with matching or slightly over RMS ratings and box them up nice, though most car speakers (apart from subs) are free air speakers and do not require a sealed box to work properly, just might sound weird if you generate weird echos in the boot.

Cool I will try and install tonight.

Depending on Missus

I have found from experience that speaker rating pretty much means jack shit. If you plan on cranking the volume to ear bleeding levels then proper rated speakers are more important, but on a 55W amp just pick something you like that fits where you need them and you will be all good.

Don't get tied up on figures.

Something I do recommend doing though, is set your low pass filter to around 150hz (The amp should have a little tuning pot for this). This will cut off the low frequencies so you don't get shitty distorted clipping bass through speakers that can't handle it.

It has a switch for 80Hz (I guess that controls if it is running a sub or not)

There is also a wee knob that you can turn, instructions are in russian

Will get it in tomorrow night (missus at work) Also I guess the pin labelled (REM) is the trigger wire

Hmm all wired in but no go.

I have tested and voltage is getting to the Amp, Also the earth works.

Blue trigger wire is plumbed into the circuit that powers my 12v power supply plug (phone charger). This has voltage.

The power/ protector LED on my amp doesnt glow

I plugged MP3 into it, volume up high and nothing happened, although the battery was super flat in MP3 player.

What have I missed?

Felixx

Driving a self tapper thru the steel on the car should be a good enough earth shouldnt it?

Or do I need to attach the earth cable to something more substantial (this is a big self tapper)

edit: Earthing issue, although as I type this wee fella has woken up, need to wait for his mum to come home now so I can get back into the shed..

1st world problems

ya, as i was reading this thread i knew it was an earth problem, but glad you worked it out :D

also that knob you can turn is probably for the 'Gain' more or less its a volume/power dial for the outputs, turn the gain down to 0, turn the stereo up to full and turn the gain up untill it starts to distort then back it off till its sounding clear, then turn the stereo down before you kill ALL your hearing.

also dont advise doing this in the evening. :lol:

When I set up an amp I sanded a small area of paint, drilled a hole and bolted the earth to the car. Then sprayed the whole lot to stop rust. Works a lot better than a single screw :P

i do similar,although i find an existing screw or bolt to use,take it out and then do as you do :).ive currently got my earth bolted to the fuel pump cover plate in the daily thrasher,lol

ya, as i was reading this thread i knew it was an earth problem, but glad you worked it out :D

also that knob you can turn is probably for the 'Gain' more or less its a volume/power dial for the outputs, turn the gain down to 0, turn the stereo up to full and turn the gain up untill it starts to distort then back it off till its sounding clear, then turn the stereo down before you kill ALL your hearing.

also dont advise doing this in the evening. :lol:

Bad idea, your stereo will be clipping at full volume. Normally recommended to do this at about 4/5th the full volume.